Dead Suburban Update #2

Well, I got the starter put in and it is still not turning over. I'm bummed and stumped. I will check to see that I am getting juice to the starter from the ignition switch (the small wire) this weekend. Any other suggestions what to check for. I am wondering if I wasted my money buying a new starter and they said it was bad when it really wasn't. What should I do if I do have juice on the small wire? How much juice should be going there? Am I missing something simple? Battery is good, engine block ground is cleaned, battery terms are cleaned, I cleaned all the wire terminals that go to the starter. Help!?!

Brian

Took the starter off and had it tested today. It turned over but they said > it was pulling 170 amps and that it needed replaced. Will put it in this > weekend and post an update Monday. > > > Still Dead! I ruled out the Battery. I cleaned the terminals at the > battery and at the starter. Still nothing. > > Now, here is the weird thing. After I cleaned the terminal on the hot wire > to the starter and the wire lug on the starter, there is a little hook like > tab on the wire that appears to sort of lock the wire in place on the > starter. This little hook was bent enough to evidently short out on > something. Once I went to put the wire back on the battery post, the > starter turned the engine over. I thought for sure I had solved the > problem. I took the wire back off the starter and bent the hook back down > and thought for sure it would work. Put the cable back on the battery post, > turned the key and still dead .... doesn't make a bit of noise. > > BTW My Voltage never dropped below 11.3V with fans on, headlights and > trying to crank it. I swapped Batteries with my truck though to rule it > out. > > > . > . > . > Master Shredder, > you got a volt meter? > > Check for roughly 11-12 volts with all acessories off. > > Then turn on everything....and check to > see if it's dropping fast and far. > > Then have one of them goblins of yours > try to start it while you look at the meter > and see if it's dropping fast and far.... > Usually on a doorknob dead battery > the voltage will plunge imediately to well > below 9 volts.....even as far as 0, while > being load tested. > > > if alls well......try to jumper the starter and see > if it's even capable of "kicking over". > It's a bit of a maneuver....but it's doable. > >
Reply to
Trail Shredder

It definitely sounds like something is not firing the solenoid... whether it's the solenoid or the ignition/start wire... I'm not sure.

To test the starter, you can hook up the main battery cables. Take a wire and connect it to the main positive, and touch it to the positive terminal on the solenoid. If it works, it should scare the crap out of you when the solenoid engages and the starter turns over. Be carefull!

If that works, you know it's something with that starter wire from the ignition. If it doesn't work, I think the solenoid should be taken apart and you should grease the plunger. I've never had to do that with a new/rebuild starter though.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Reply to
Dave Shepherd

I had one do that and the main wire on the back of the alternator had broken off under the little rubber boot

Reply to
18436572

My question is does it sound like it's trying to crank? Hydro-lock?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ