Door hinge spring replacement

Can anyone tell me a safe way to replace the spring in the door hinge on my 2000 K2500 truck. I noticed one day that the spring was missing so I picked up a replacement with the intention of installing it
myself. It looks as though you have to compress the spring in order to insert it in the hinge. I tried doing this using a bench vise and tying the spring up with some heavy guage wire, only to have a uncontrolable projectile shooting around my garage! There must be an easier way to do this???? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Cookie.Monster@SS wrote:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ta87675.html
you can use hose clamps to compress the spring, just make sure you put the clamp on the spring so you can get the clamp out once the spring in in place. hope this helped matt