Missing Spring retainer clamps?

I just installed a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift kit on a '03 TJ 6

When removing the 2 front springs, as per the instructions, I was t remove a spring reatiner clamp, and then re-install it when the ne springs are in.

My jeep didn't have any spring retainer clamps installed. I know these kits are for many model years, so I'm not sure if it' normal that the '03 didn't use them. I saw the holes where bolts woul probably go, but they didn't look like they've ever had anythin screwed into them.

Should I worry? Do I need to go buy some reatiner clamps and put the in?

Also, another thing... The kit was miss-packed. They had 4 Front Bump stop extenders in the kit, instead of 2 Front an

2 Rear. The front dont fit in the rear, so I didn't extend the rear bum stops. I'm planning on installing them down the line... or should I not eve bother

-- Mik

Mike

NY / Long Island '03 Wrangler X - Freedom Editio

Mike

Its normal for the spring retainers to be missing. You can pick them up at the dealer for not too much $. My 98 had one, but not the other side. As to wether or not its a big deal, depends on how much flex you have. Will you pop your springs out of position without them?

I would call RE about the wrong bumpstops in the kit.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Did the old springs fall out? Are the new springs even longer, assuring they should be even more likely to never fall out?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks,

that's what I figured... was just wondering if it was just me missing them - or did they sto using them.

I'm kinda lazy to pull the springs out just to extend the bump stops a inch and a half... I will call about it though... better to have it around so maybe I'l put them in at some point.

jbjeep Wrote:

-- Mik

Mike

NY / Long Island '03 Wrangler X - Freedom Editio

Mike

You 'really' want those bumpstops in there! You will trash the springs and bottom out the shock which can/will punch the shock towers off or even snap the frame if you hit it wrong. Nothing like having a shock punch through the hood or back seat. (that happened on a friend's Camaro when he jacked up the rear and didn't use new bumpstops, the shocks came right through the back seat.)

If you off road and disconnect the anti sway bar and hit a ditch just on the right 45 or so degrees, you can lose a spring without the hold down. It would be a good idea to put it in....

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Jerry Bransford