EGR

Finally getting ready to replace the EGR as you all recommended so long ago to solve my rough idle over 90 degrees problem. Broke out my Chiltons to look up how to do it. The EGR ain't where the Chiltons says it is that I can see. The Chiltons pic don't look like a Vortec.

Anyone have a reference to a decent pic of an EGR on a 95 S10 Blazer with a

4.3 L Vortec V-6? Any help is appreciated.

Art

Reply to
Art

Should be just right of center on the front of the intake manifold. Almost directly below the throttle body inlet. It is a computer controlled linear EGR and has the wire connector on the top. No vacuum lines. There are two bolts or one bolt one stud that hold it on. You need to remove the air intake silencer and set it aside, There is a brace that goes behind the belt tensioner and it LOOKS like the EGR won't come out but it will, just pull it forward and tilt it so it comes out the hole between the brace and the tensioner. It shouldn't take more than a half hour to R&R the thing. Make sure the engine is cool before you do it though, unless you wear gloves.

Reply to
Steve W.

Ever since a Chiltons book gave me detailed (but completely wrong) instructions on how to replace the timing chain on a V-6 760GLE Volvo, I use Haynes books....

The EGR otta be easy to find, just look for something on the engine that appears just like what's in the new EGR box

Reply to
ken

"Steve W." wrote in news:409bed46 snipped-for-privacy@corp.newsgroups.com:

Thanks Steve. I have a both a Chilton's and a Haynes. Unfortunately the Haynes doesn't show a procedure for testing or replacing it. The only thing I see in that manual that remotely resembles the part I've seen on-line is the IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve and it doesn't sound like it recirculates exhaust.

I will look for it where you've indicated and let you know how I come out.

Thanks for the reply.

Art

Reply to
Art

The EGR Valve is behind the intake manifold. Take off your breather cover and look for the pancake looking device with a vacuum hose hooked too it. Some people say you can clean it up with Carb Cleaner to fix it if it is not sealing good. However, if the diaphram is busted, there is no hope, you must purchase a new one. The EGR Valve is tough to diagnose sometimes.

Reply to
jo