Exhaust recommendations

Page 2 of 3
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:08:40 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bill) wrote:

Mine's a '93 silverado with a 5.7
I got duals from magnaflow performance on mine, 2.5" if I remember correctly It's not loud when you arre standing near it, but I can definitely hear the low deep rumble when I am sitting in my house when the truck is running. I tromp on the throttle and it's the most beautiful deep exhaust sound I ever heard!
Soon as I scrape a bit of extra money together, a local muffler shop is throwing on dual Nascar boom tubes to deepen the sound even further
----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below ----------------------------------------------------- http://users.eastlink.ca/~mikemcneil/index.htm
ya and?
read the titleof the original message and then read the 3rd line and 3rd word of the original post.
I know what he said. do you?

----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below ----------------------------------------------------- http://users.eastlink.ca/~mikemcneil/index.htm
Bill, What are your objectives in changing the air intake? Look at the post above by KB 3/19 9:16am (Kyle). He provides a link which discusses the air intakes. There is test reports listed and details about how good or bad each brand does. In a nut shell the K & N (and other high performance intakes) isn't very good at "filtering the air" but allows a LOT of air to flow in. The stock paper air filter from Chevy does a great job at filtering the air but is more restrictive in allowing air to flow. The report also points out that the K&N filter gets clogged faster than others so it requires cleaning more often. If you're looking for power/performance and don't mind the dirt in the engine go K&N or some other high performance filter. If you want no dirt and don't mind current performance stay with your Delco filter.
As for the exhaust, loud is relative. Flow Master and other manufactures offer several different levels of loud. Flow Master offers a nice cat back system for that truck which will give it some sound but not a lot and will still improve performance. I think it is the American Thunder muffler. They also offer other mufflers which will provide even more sound if that is your goal.
All stock Chevy exhausts are pretty quiet if you ask me. So if your 97 5.7 was stock then any after market performance exhaust will be louder.
I had an 01 5.3L with a Flow master exhaust and it sounded a little deeper than the stock Dodge Hemi exhaust but not much different. They can make it louder if that is what you want.
Bill wrote:

I wasn`t trying to start another argument again.I was just looking for some input. I don`t want to here anymore crap about K&N.I`ve been running them for years,and so are all my friends.No one I know has ever had a problem. Just give me some ideas of what I can do to make more HP on my 6.0. Thanks! Bill
AMEN! You said it brother!
A Whipple Supercharger seems to be the best bang for the buck for my truck. Anyone got some spare bucks laying around?
For now I'm happy with my K&N, Hypertech Power Programmer, and Magnaflow exhaust system.
Adding a Supercharger will give you a whole lot more Horsepower. They are nice. Driven a few Before and After Supercharger jobs and it's like night and day. The down side, you HAVE to use Premium fuel, and well with what gas prices are these days.... Plus more wear and tear on the engine, transmission, and rear end. Not normally to bad, because they don't normally boost the engine to much for kits you add on to Stock Engines. Plus it's so much fun smoking the tires until you have to replace them. But if you have around 5 grand to spend on a supercharger system, then some of the Negatives aren't really a issue for you.

magnaflow performance dual front to back 2 1/2 inch pipe no cat
got it on my 93 silverado with a 5.7 V8 and sounds awesome in the near future getting a couple nascar rated boom tubes to completely finish it off. will give it a deeper rumble but not louder
wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below ----------------------------------------------------- http://users.eastlink.ca/~mikemcneil/index.htm
I have an idea, but an old truck, pre 1980's and register it in south dakota! chad (old truck owner) and its paid for!

I like flowmasters, and install a lot of them! You can't screw with any of the exhaust from the Cats forward. So no true duals all the way back! You can get a Single in and Dual out Flowmaster, like a 3" Inlet and 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" outlet works good. Then it's sound you want. 40 Series is the Original and is pretty loud but sounds great. I personally have a 50 series flowmaster on my truck. I little more quite outside, and quite a bit more quite inside the Cab. Your not going to have any problems with the check engine light as long as you don't screw with anything from the Cat forward. If you have money to burn, you can go all Stainless. Not something I normally do, but did on my truck, Stainless Flowmaster, Stainless Rear pipes, bent myself, and Stainless tips out the back. System should last for as long as I have the truck. Which is a 03 Silverado with a 5.3.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:42:46 -0800, "JBDragon" <joewald at bigfoot dot com> wrote:

Interesting. I was thinking about headers at a later date, but have seen several that list themselves as no EGR. I haven't looked at mine specifically for EGR, but I'd have to imagine that it's present. Maybe this is what I was reading about that screwed with the check engine light.
The local guy that several folks have recommended only does galvanized. I'm sure there is someone else I can use, but how much faster is the galvanized going to wear out than the stainless?
E.G.R. functions are handled by the intake manifold and E.G.R. valve.... your'e thinking of A.I.R. (air injection reactor) which pumps air into the exhaust manifold as a means of reducing emissions. You can do anything you want to a vehicle that must pass emissions testing as long as it passes the test when you are done.Slap on a set of full-length hedders (shorty's are not worth the effort), aftermarket high flow cats are available in any style and O2 sensor bungs can be welded back into the aftermarket pipe to retain factory sensors. True duals will serve you well and open the door for future engine mods if you so desire.
Mad-Dog
What do you guys think of the X-pipe design, such as the Hedman X-TREME X-Pipe? Or the Hooker or the Flow-Tech? Do they improve performance somehow over the H-pipe setup? What do they sound like?
An X pipe and H pipe use the same theory, to equalize pressure between the two pipes and to enhance low end torque and efficiency...like single exhaust. The X pipe does a MUCH smoother and MUCH better job!
I had true 2 1/2" glass pack dual exhaust that was obtrusively loud and had an H pipe installed that made a major difference in sound(loud not obtrusive), power(a little sat-of-the-pants better), and efficiency(minimally better). I went to a custom set of canister(turbo) mufflers that made it quieter, but nothing else. I later went to a dual 2 1/2 into one 3" with one of the custom mufflers and was IMIDIATLY impressed with the awesome sound(mild and deep at idle and deep and throaty under power), power(awesome throttle response and no more kicking out of OD going up hills), and efficiency(2 mpg higher before tuning and 3-4avg after tuning). Before tuning, the single exhaust won decisively in all areas over the best tuning of the duals.
I don't know if an off-the-shelf muffler design would do worse or better than my custom designed, but I do know that I am sold on single exhaust over duals for the right application. I and many hot-footers I know luv the sound of my exhaust over any dual that they have heard.
btw...My engine isn't stock, its mild with aftermarket intake, headers, and ignition and valvetrain mods. I am at the lower end of what my exhaust can handle and am looking into more power(of course!).

I can see how a x-pipe could work slightly better than the h-pipe design, My h-pipe also mellowed out the tone and boosted bottom end torque. What gets my heart jumping is that distinctive RING the pipes make when the power comes on line....WHOA
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10

I would have to say it's a resonant ring that i really like....
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10
Shades (at dot) wrote:

There are sound 'waves' traveling up and down the exhaust system. When they travel up they cause power loss. The popping cackle heard on a true dual system is attention getting and power robbing. Running 2 pipes into one produces a scavenging effect that actually helps draw in the air/fuel mixture to produce more power and at the same time it causes the sound waves to slam into each other and cancel each other out thereby helping to reduce the cackle and increase power. The same works for an H or X pipe, just not as defined. The failing of the single exhaust is at top end.
A tidbit about the three ranges of an engine, low end, mid range, and top end...Low end is idle to 2-3000rpm, mid range is from 2-3 to 5-6000, and top end is above that. How often are you driving your vehicle in the top end? These RPM ranges are very general and average! I wanted to put that in BEFORE anyone started going off about a particular engines RPM ranges.
Back to a single exhaust example...a diesel engine. Low end is its battlefield and it is KING! No matter how many big rigs you see on the road with dual stacks, they come from one pipe. There are more points to diesels that add to its torque, but even diesel light trucks have aftermarket exhausts that are a single design.
Look at the venerable tri-Y headers! 4 into 2 into 1...doesn't it make sense to go 8 into 4 into 2 into 1? They are a tried and true design that optimizes scavenging, flow, and power.
I am not saying that a properly matched dual exhaust wont make tons of power, but the best have an X pipe. If you are making Pro Stock horsepower, then all your concerned with is getting the exhaust out. Everything has to be matched and from experience and investigation, it takes allot to make an engine to where it needs duals. Running 2 pipes into one muffler and 2 pipes out, the same as an H or X pipe.
Do some talking with exhaust system manufacturers. You will still get some that say duals all the way, primarily because that's all they sell, but major ones will have single and dual setups and will have documentation of which does what and how good.
$3-500 isn't chump change but it is worth it to have your computer optimized truck self adjust to a test between a custom bent single exhaust and a custom bent dual exhaust. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! You have allot of engine and a 3inch single probably wouldn't be enough. You might need 3 1/2-4 inch. Flowmaster is an awesome source for recommendations about exhaust. Call their tech line. Measure twice cut once...call many times and pay once.
I was in a position to install 2 1/2inch duals and tune the carb and timing and such to what works best, then a single installed and tune the same for it.
I say it again, do your homework, get input from the pros, and go from there. My single is FAR better than my duals were, and I studied before I made the leap.
Jest my 2 cents...well by the looks of it more like a buck and change...man this got long!

scrape wrote:

I had an 01 Chevy 1500 Silverado with the 5.3l V8. Despite what Chevy claims that engine was really weak (at least mine was). I towed the exact same camper with my 01 5.3 as I did with my 96 with a 350V8. Both trucks had 3:73 gears. The 96 350 would pull circles around the 01 I had.
Anyway, to get power and performance I did a Flowmaster American Thunder stainless cat back dual rear exit system (along with K&N air intake and Hypertech programmer). There was a dramatic power improvement but not much difference in gas milage. The truck pulled a lot better, no question about it. I like a throaty V8 sound but don't want to go deaf driving it. This exhaust was very good. It had a nice throaty V8 sound (similar to some of Dodge's Hemi exhausts) without being crazy load. I wouldn't have minded it being a little loader actually but left it alone. The Flowmaster was very easy to install and took no time. I was very happy with the quality, fit, etc... I would get another one again.
I just bought an 04 Silverado w. 8.1l V8. I solved my power problem.
scrape let me know what you find and where, as i am thinking of duels on my 04gmc thanks