Front differential

How and where do the check the from differential on an '85 K5 Blazer? What am I looking for and all? Am just getting back into maintaining my own vehicles rather than taking them to the shop, but some things I have
forgotten. Thanks for the help.

Mark,
1) Remove the differential cover. Start at the bottom bolts and work your way up so the bottom of the cover pops loose first and pukes the oil into a drain pan.
2) Remove cover once it's done draining.
3) Look on the inside of the diff cover for metal flakes/shards/powder. Also look on the bottom of the diff. housing for the same things.
4) Rotate wheels to get the gears moving and check for broken teeth on the ring and pinion gears.
5) Use a clean, DRY cloth to get the remaining guck out of the bottom of the diff. housing.
6) Use a new gasket, some hi-tack and re-attach the diff. cover. Start at the bottom and work your way up, as you want the bottom nice and tight. I usually go 15 ft/lbs all around.
7) Remove the differential fill plug, which will be located on the driver's side of the housing. It will have a 3/8" SQUARE drive plug. Use a ratchet extension and a breaker bar to pop it loose. An impact wrench with 3/8" extension will also work, but you need to really lean into it before pulling the trigger to avoid stripping out the plug.
8) Fill it up with 80W90 GL5 gear lube till it overflows out of the hole, let the extra run off, as soon as it stops dripping replace the plug.
Doc

Can't I just test it through the hole for now? How often should you pull apart differential cover though? Maybe it is time I do what you were saying. Thank.

What
your
the
at
driver's
ratchet
pulling
Just a note to that. Pull your fill plug first. Cause if you can't get it out and/or you strip it, there's no way to get oil into the diff.