Replacing front differential.

I have a 1988 Chevy 4X4, 1500 shortbed. The driver side tube to the front differential is cracked. I have found a replacement. The gears and everything is already installed. Has anybody on this board ever attempted to change the front differential before? If so, I would appreciate any tips or advise. I have swapped engines but never attempted this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. J.

Reply to
josuha1900

Are you replacing the entire front axle assembly? If so, is the replacement differential the same gear ratio as the broken one or do you need to change parts to match your current ratio?

Reply to
Ed H.

Hi..I'm replacing the whole assembly. The assembly is the same gear ratio (342) I've never replaced one before. It should be 'bolt on'..no gears to change.

I see flanges holding the short axels on tubes of the front differential. There are two frame bolts that I can see.

Right now I'm attempting to take off the front drive shaft. There are four bolts to the front U-joint that I took off. At the end of the shaft, there are four bolts on a flange that bolts to the transmission. I got these bolts off. The front driveshaft won't drop. I can't see any other bolts holding it on. But the shaft won't move. Any suggestions or procedure would be greatly appreciated...

Josh

Reply to
josuha1900

Reply to