headlight replacement

I have a 1997 k1500 silverado. Recently noticed the headlights are getting dim (or I am getting old). Checked the alignment per the service manual (lights pointed at flat surface). The headlights do not have a good
pattern. Very spread out.
Thinking of changing bulbs to the Sylvania silstar. The headlight adjustment gear (left side , up down) is also stripped (never has been touched). Want to change the factory housings to APC diamond.
Any suggestions?
Thanks Joe
I noticed on mine ( 92 silverado ) that when I went from the low profile tires to the standard 235/75/15 series the amount of brightness displayed on the road surface was lessened because of the increased height.

have the silverstars on my 87 K5. The light output is pretty much the same as my stock ones were. Just a whiter light. Not worth the money on my truck. Now I am going to switch her over to HID.

I *think* I saw a news item that some states were going to outlaw the mod to HID. Something about leaving the factory lamps intact. I run silverstars, too, and the brightness is about the same.