99 k1500 silverado

hi iv'e got a 99 k1500 silverado new body style with the 5,3lit vortec engine. my problem is i turn the ignition key on, and everything is fine. lights come on every gauge reacts and iv'e got plenty power.When i turn the key to start the engine nothing happens.somtimes i have to flick the key about ten times before it cranks over. it starts at once. and then everything works fine for a week. i can hear the fuel pump running, and the clicing of some relays.it's just the last step that fails. anyone got any ideas?? faulty ignition switch maybe??? in advance thanks

Reply to
Leif Magne Berg

Yes, It takes about (usually 700 cold cranking amps of battery to spin over a motor.) if you battery is weak it will light all the lamps, run the fuel pump and turn on everything, but when you hit it with the starter motor there just isn't enough cold cranking amps left to spin the engine over.

Sometimes this can be indicative of a corroded set of BOLTS which on the Chevy battery posts.

So if you undo the battery terminals (bolts) and examine them carefully with the rubber pulled back, if you see any GREEN then this MAY be your problem. that includes any and especially any Green/White corrosion in the BOLT THREADS. This problem may be fixed by a new battery, but not for long, Sometimes the battery bolts may be warm if you try to crank it as the resistance of the corrosion heats up like a big resistor.

I had my 87 Chevy do this and strand my wife, I replaced the battery and got it home, next morning same thing, it was corroded terminals on the battery.

The other one I have seen is an alternator which is shorted on one side of it internal diode bridge, This makes the alternator put out a half wave rectified signal instead of a fully rectified waveform, So it charges the battery but only at half the available alternator output. So the battery stays sort of charged, but not enough and the battery doesn't seem to last as long either. so if you put a meter across the terminals of the battery when the truck is running, the meter must read at least 13.5 volts, and if its not then you may have a shorted diode in your alternator (there are 4 in a bridge)

See if any of this helps.

Reply to
hh

Reply to
benick

Goto Autozone, have them do a battery/alternator check. Check the connection at the battery and the starter (I had this on my 93 jimmy somehow the bolt for the hot cable had come loose and I had a bad connection at the starter) Then check the fuel pressure, for the all annoying chevy fuel pump.

Reply to
pegreenb

ive replaced the battery in february. and the battery posts look fine. maybee i'll take a look at the starter. THANKYOU GUYS

"hh" skrev i melding news:_Dikg.14606$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

Reply to
Leif Magne Berg

it was the points in the starter relay that sits in the under hood relay boks on the left side. opened the relay carefully and grinded the points whith som very fine paper.

"Leif Magne Berg" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@telenor.com...

Reply to
Leif Magne Berg

SnoMan