HELP HELP HELP

My father and mother are on their way to see me in there 1996 Chevy 454 Vortech P30 Chassis Motorhome driving thru a heavy rainstorm.

The service engine soon light came on and my father's book indicated it was an emissions problem when the SES light comes on in one of these vehicles.

The problem is he cant locate the port to draw out the service codes like I can in my 1990 Chevy. He cant locate the port, ended paying a truckstop $75 to not locate the port!

Does anyone know where the port is on one of these vehicles????

Symptoms which made him pull over are when climbing a hill, the power and cruising speed go down. Also cannot maintain a cruising speed of 70 mph. However, engine runs smoothly.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

TIA

Reply to
Stephen & Erica Chenelle

Has he tried disconnecting the battery to clear the codes and reset the computer? If he clears the codes and resets the computer it may run normally. At least for a while untill he can get where he is headed to and have time for someone that knows what they are doing check it out! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Hi!

If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure I will be corrected in time, but I believe

1996 models would have the OBD II system. If that is correct, you can't extract codes the way you can for older vehicles like your 1990 truck. A reader/scanner tool would be needed.

If there's an AutoZone around, they might be able to read the codes and explain the trouble. I think they even still do so free of charge.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

This is correct those vehicles do have the OBD II system and will require a scanner to read the codes.

Reply to
A Frazier

Which doesn't help him a damn bit if he can't find the dataport!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Steve,

I've worked on ONE of these guys before, and it was awhile back. IIRC, the dataport was under the "hood" if you could call it that. Can't remember on the left or right side, but it was towards the top of the engine bay.

HTH,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

What brand is it?

The Fleetwood factory is a mile away from where I'll be tomorrow, or I can just call them. give me the model if it's a Fleetwood. Doc is right, most are under the engine cover, you remove the top and they are under there.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King