Help me with my radio...

I have had a problem with my radio for a long time in my 1990 740T. Its a TD-6141 with the EQ underneath. The radio cuts out the front speakers if I turn it up too loud.

Finally today I decide to remove the EQ section and see if the problem persists, well I do that and the radio now sounds like a little AM pocket receiver. I can hear it but barely, I have to turn it up all the way.

I thought the head could power the speakers without the EQ. Why didn't this work? By the way I couldn't find the amplifier above the kneeboard to the left of the steering wheel. Its just not there and I thought they put amps in all the cars.

I need some help before I break down and buy a new radio...

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Pierce

Some radio installations only used the dashboard end speakers. These were small diameter twin speaker units at each end of the dashboard (oblong grills). The other speakers (doors and rear parcel shelf or D-pillars) were meant to be powered from the separate amplifier where fitted. The connection from head to amplifier is by a DIN connector lead from rear of head unit to the amplifier. The amplifier usually sits up under the dashboard on right hand side.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

I'll look again for the amplifier. This 1990 740 Sedan only has speakers on all 4 doors. So the amp is not the Equalizer correct?

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Pierce

That is quite correct Matt. The amp is a smallish black box, the equaliser is usually part of the radio head or sits under it. I would expect the problem to be caused by a loose connection, possibly the power feed to the amp.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Peter,

Many thanks for your continued help. Obviously its time to take off that kneeboard and wiggle those connections.

Another question, if I remove the radio will I have to input the security code when I plug it back in? I don't have this code and will have to track it down. I want to clean up the radio outside of the car but won't bother if I have to mess with this security code business.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Pierce

It would be advisable to find out the code before removing the radio. It may be that the code has been eliminated or changed since first installation. If the code has been deleted there is no need to find one as the radio will work perfectly OK. If it has been changed then you will have to find the previous owner for confirmation. Otherwise the dealer should be able to tell you by checking against the VIN. There may be enough slack in the radio wiring to enable it to be pulled out clear enough for you to clean it.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

TD 6141 has no radio code.

If you remove the graphic equalizer, there is a bridge that plugs into the same connector that the equalizer plugs into.

The amplifier is the likely cause of your original complaint - follow the DIN cable plugged into the rear of the radio, to the amp that is located over the driver's feet, above that plastic kick panel. However, if you're really lucky, just plugging and unplugging that DIN cable at the back of the radio may fix your problem.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks Mike.

There is no amplifier! I removed the kneepanel and I see the bracket where it may have been at one time but its not there now. The speakers are aftermarket Pioneer in the front and Boston Acoustic in the back and something funky must have gone on when the guy installed them.

Where would he hide the amplifier?

Thanks...

MP

Reply to
Matthew Pierce

You have to be able to find it if you follow the wires. Is there a DIN cable (similar to the graphic equalizer) plugged into the back of the radio?

Reply to
Mike F

The amp itself is under the panel above the drivers knees.

RS

Reply to
Rusty