knock sensor

Page 3 of 3
azwiley1 wrote:

There's not a whole lot of improvement to be made on a conventional factory engine because the OEM has done their best to provide a maximally useful product.
If you want significant improvements you need to get into doing the race car stuff with special camshafts and other performance enhancement products. There are folks around doing that for a living. They'll throw your engine stats into a computer and show you various performance curves for special camshafts that can be machined to make the engine into more of what you're looking for.
30 or 40 years ago snoball would have been here touting a special 100mpg carburetor and ashless dispersant oil.
His claimed performance improvement is a sham. "If it sounds too good to be true, it is."

<BIG SNIP>
Though I kno we are talking about Chevy trucks in here, I would like to share a little experience I had concerning use of different octanes, but on my dual carbed motorcycle. Though some might not find it relevant, I would be that it does go to prove a little something.
Long and short of it is this, my bike is recommended at 87/89 octane, however, since I have owned it I have (until recently) run nothing but 92/93, figuring I was "making things better."
Then I had been informed that I was actually costing myself money and some power, of course I did not believe it. SOOO on a full tank of 92/93 I had it dyno'd wasn't the greatest numbers but what do you expect from a little 600.?
Ran it dry, filled up with 87/89 for two tanks, after the second, I took it back to the same place, dyno'd it again, and low and behold, the hp jumped up. Now, I do not have the numbers handy, but when talking about a little motorcycle weighing 500# a little more hp makes a HUGE difference.
The moral here is that running a higher octane DOES NOT mean you are going to gain anything other then a lighter wallet.

What is the compression ratio of your motorcycle?

I'd have to get to you on that, I don't know right off.

Looks like it is about 9.2:1 CR