LED Tail light kit

--WebTV-Mail-13260-2379 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
Anyone have information on a vendor of a kit to convert conventional
bulb rear lighting to LEDs for my '98 Chev Tracker? Aftermarket parts suppliers don't got, but I think that there may be someone who's made up something for this since I located such a kit for my motorcycle to convert the turn signals into triple-threat turn, brake, and tail lights. Reason? I like lots of light in the rear when on interstate highways with high-speed (speeding) traffic overtaking. Any info greatly appreciated. TIA Larry Kingman
--WebTV-Mail-13260-2379 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-13260-2379--
Let me know when you find one!
Anyone have information on a vendor of a kit to convert conventional bulb rear lighting to LEDs for my '98 Chev Tracker? Aftermarket parts suppliers don't got, but I think that there may be someone who's made up something for this since I located such a kit for my motorcycle to convert the turn signals into triple-threat turn, brake, and tail lights. Reason? I like lots of light in the rear when on interstate highways with high-speed (speeding) traffic overtaking. Any info greatly appreciated. TIA Larry Kingman
There are actually quite a few out there. The bonus is that they follow the same part number reference as the regular tail lights. According to Autozone, your Tracker uses regular 1157 tail lights. Just look for "1157 LED" in a google search and you get a ton of results.
Brandonb
larry dee wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:07:03 -0500, Brandonb

I installed a set of 1157LED's for the grand total of 25 bucks. They lasted only 6 months before one of them packed it in. I threw them both in the weeds and installed regular bulbs again. The bulbs are cheap - WAY cheaper. Bulbs are not only brighter but the entire fixture is lit up not just a small spot around the LED. Bulbs have always lasted longer than 6 months in my lifetime.
YUP - A sucker and his money was soon parted. Like all of the other gimmicks I have purchased over the years it was not worth to powder to blow it to hell. -- Regards Gordie
The Nolalu Barn Owl wrote:

This is interesting to hear. I was thinking about installing some LED tail lights as a site I saw said a 10-year life span and then making some "frenched" style lights, complete with bondo/fiberglass around to smooth it to the rest of the body and not have cracks. This would definitely make that a bad idea.
Brandonb
The Nolalu Barn Owl wrote:

On a side note...
What were the brand you used and where did you get them? Usuaully LEDs last much, much longer than regular bulbs and are also being swapped in at all traffic lights here in Des Moines as the old bulbs burn out.
I'm wondering if perhaps there was a sub-par brand or adverse environment might have caused the shortened lifespan.
Brandonb
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:47:59 -0500, Brandonb

Brand? Don't know. I couldn't find any here in Canada at the time and only saw them at WalMart in Duluth Minn. They may or may not last longer if they are a good brand but the other shortcomings remain. I'll stick with the bulbs. I can afford a lot of bulbs for the difference in price. -- Regards Gordie
--WebTV-Mail-20929-6832 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
Thanks to the responders, and especially to Brandon b, I was able to find a wealth of information on LED tail lights via Google. The decision on what to do seems to rest on a few things:
What's the size of your light receptacle vs. the size of the LED (you can't go with the smallest); the site shows diameter and length measurements of the two larger, more applicable, LEDs. Will they fit?
What sense do you make of '"actual" vs. "apparent" brightness" as stated in the text of the site.
How do you rate the cost ($25 -- $37 USD per lamp) vs. the hopeful gain in safety achieved?
I'm measuring and thinking about it, hoping that someone has some input on what is the actual achieved brightness on the conversion to LEDs. Thanx again.
--WebTV-Mail-20929-6832 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-20929-6832--
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:28:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (larry dee) wrote:

They were as bright except that the spot was only a portion of the existing lens. I changed to 1157LED bulbs and the very first thing that struck me is that the signals refused to flash. About 9 bucks lighter, I had to switch to a solid state flasher to make the expensive LED's flash. They didn't last very long. The marketing hype is that they give you an extra margin of safety on the amount of time needed for the tail lamps to be visible. Actual fact is I drive a Chevy and there are few people who CAN tailgate me. -- Regards Gordie
larry dee wrote:

I just got delivered both red & white 1157 LED brake light bulbs.....
to reduce the current draw on my Sequential Brake light 95 SS Impala
modification.... now 6 1/2 Brake lights, stock was 4 1/2 bulbs....
1157 Red & white LED bulbs are the Palatine, IL units...
Bought from Mouser Electronics in Texas...
Cost of Red 5000 Intensity LEDS $3.50 each /1157 ver
Cost of White 10000 Intensity LEDS $11.00 each /1157 ver
Brake Light to Tail light mode increases intensity only 3 times....
I plan now to use the LEDS, probably white, in center light sockets only..... LEDS use almost no amps...
After reading the LED thread here... I've lost some interest.
I'll do the project (And Test) in 2 weeks or so ......
You can use a light-meter (professional photographers use them) to compare the actual brightness. Take measurements at different/measured distances from the bulbs. You may want to do it in a darkened garage or at night.
You cannot use LED bulbs in most signal/hazard lamp applications because the bulbs do not draw enough current to make the signal/hazard flashing unit work properly or at all (there are minimum current values for the units to start flashing). You could, though, use the bulbs in parallel to existing incandescent bulbs by tapping into their POS leads but you would need to install new sockets/housings...
LEDs that burn out do so mainly because of mismatched resistors (yes, cheap as in manufactured using incorrect or substandard resistors). Properly manufactured, they should outlast 2 to 4 vehicle battery changes.
to the responders, and especially to Brandon b, I was able to<BR>find a wealth of information on LED tail lights via Google.&nbsp; The<BR>decision on what to do seems to rest on a few things:<BR><BR>What's the size of your light receptacle vs. the size of the LED (you<BR>can't go with the smallest); the site shows diameter and length<BR>measurements of the two larger, more applicable, LEDs.&nbsp; Will they fit?<BR><BR>What sense do you make of '"actual" vs. "apparent" brightness" as stated<BR>in the text of the site.<BR><BR>How do you rate the cost ($25 -- $37 USD per lamp) vs. the hopeful gain<BR>in safety achieved?<BR><BR>I'm measuring and thinking about it,&nbsp; hoping that someone has some input<BR>on what is the actual achieved brightness on the conversion to LEDs.<BR>Thanx again.<BR><BR> <P> <HR>
<P></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
You cannot use LED bulbs in most signal/hazard lamp applications because the bulbs do not draw enough current to make the signal/hazard flashing unit work properly or at all (there are minimum current values for the units to start flashing). ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sure you can. You just need an electronic flasher relay. They are not load dependant. About $10.00. H
I did say "... most ..."
wrote

the