Freelander High Tail Light

I need to change the bulb in my high tail brake light. The problem is the three screws that hold the unit together are all rusty and have been rounded. Can anyone sugest away of undoing these rounded rusty screws???

Reply to
Mark

Uh, now how did that happen?!

Round and round go the wretched rounded rusty screws.

Presumably you have tried DW40?

I'm headed out right now to check mine. I think I'll pop a little grease round 'em.

Cheers

Blippie

-- Visit the alt.aviation.safety FAQ online at

Blippie

Are you SURE they are rounded off ?

IIRC all the Freelander screws are Torx type so would appear rounded at a first glance were you to try, for example, to turn them with a cross head screw driver.

If they are rounded then you'll probably have to drill them out which will melt and/or crack the lense at which point you'll find that they don't sell the lenses seperately so you'll have to by a complete assembly that includes the bulb that you've already got :-)

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Thanks, I suspected as much. I am aware that the screws are the torx type and have used WD40 and the correct Torx tool but unfortunately as my landy is on an R plate I guess the poor screws have been exposed to the elements for too long!!

I suspected that drilling may be the only option, is there anyway this can be done safely i.e. not breaking the light unit???

Reply to
Mark

I got rid of my Freebie a year ago now so this is from very vague memory....

The 3 torx screws go into the housing from the back so at least you won't be near the lense. With any luck you'll be able to drill enough of the head away without damaging anything and be left with enough of a stub to get some grips on it and turn the remains out of the housing. At least the surrounding area is metal ! I'd start with a drill bit larger than the screw shaft, as central and square as possible and drill until the torx head spins off.

The housing is about 30 quid BTW plus another tenner for the lens.

good luck !

Dave W.

Dave White

Thanks Dave,

I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Mark

Landrover do a "complete, complete assembly" for around £18k. Comes with driver and passenger airbag as standard.

Cheers

Blippie

-- Visit the alt.aviation.safety FAQ online at

Blippie

Mark could think of it as a clumsiness tax!

This is the sort of job I mention in passing to my father-in-law, then leave the LR outside his house for the weekend. By the Monday morning, miraculously, the job is done. I judge the difficulty of the job by how many bruises/cuts he has ... but he always says it was a tricky little five minute job.