Mileage

Page 2 of 2
2005 brochure does say the 6 L is 366ci though
********************

I also have the same truck.The engine is 366c.i. and the tires are 245/75/16 To small for this truck,as far as looks go.
Unfortunately, the combination of a heavy truck, 4wd, the 6.0L motor and 4.10 gears will conspire to keep your mileage in the low teens at best. Everything about this combination says "work" or "hauling" or "towing", and nothing about it says "economy". My truck isn't set up like yours, but I have friends with similar and when we get together to swap lies they say "around 14" for mileage, which I guess isn't too bad. Depending on your type of commute and the weight of your right foot, I think you can expect around 12-14 empty, and maybe 8-10 with your trailer.
Don't bother with a high-flow air filter - save your money. A chip and larger exhaust might help a few MPG but they are mostly geared toward adding power than mileage. The only thing I can really think of that may help the most would be to drop down to a 3.73 rear end, but since yours is 4wd that may not be the best, plus you may (I don't really know) have to change out your front gears also and that's going to get into some serious $$$.
Good regular maintenance and a light foot will help you stretch out your mileage more than anything else for the money.
Cheers - Jonathan
--
Jonathan A. Race
Lieutenant, EMS Supervisor

I`ve had trucks with 3.73`s and 4.10`s. Don`t notice very much. Once your moving,you could use 3.42`s.
Till you need the power for a hill or head wind or both...Then you need the engine a bit deeper into its powerband.

"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

Ya got that right, I know first hand. Time to down shift with the trailer on when attacking a hill.
Brian
Let it break in a bit.My truck only has 6,000 miles on it.Same truck as you,and last tank was 12.47
I have the same truck. Bought new in Mar 04. The DIC says 12.7 mpg. That's the average for it's first 10Kmiles. This truck is set up for work and has side mount tool boxes, and racks so it weighs 1K lbs more than an empty truck. It also pulls a dump trailer quite a bit. Don't waste your money on any bolt on so called mileage increasing stuff. You bought a heavy truck to do heavy work it costs in gas.

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:53:47 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jim J) wrote:
I am getting 13 mpg average , same rig you have. There are GM forums that have tons of info. I use this one a lot.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums

A neighbor has the same setup, and was singing the blues about 10-12mpg when he stopped by last fall. But you should have seen the smile when I asked him how well it pulled his big ol' boat. Couldn't shut him up fer chit after that.
May as well face it-it's gonna cost you every time you crank it. But then so will any motorhome or any other rig that'll easily pull-and better yet-easily stop that 6000 lbs.
Snuffy '91 Sierra SLT-know anybody that needs a good truck? '04 Z-71 -will be here soon!
I have an '04 Silverado 2500HD with the same motor and gears and am getting around 10-11mpg in town and 12-13 on the highway.

10mpg unloaded. We just had this conversation yesterday.
When he straps his 8,000 lb. boat with trailer to it, he gets lot less mpg. But since he spent $50K plus on the boat and $40K on the truck, the gas mileage is the least expensive part of the equation.
Mark "Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"