missing and 4x4

i have a 1987 gmc 1/2 ton 4x4 w/ a 305 TBI. sometimes when ever i put the truck in reverse, or i slow down and stop , the trck dies on me. it also does it if im sitting at a stop light and the truck idles. the weirdest
thimg that happened was when it died on me , i craked it over to start it, but it kept crankin, never started. it still was crankin even after i turn the key off. it finally started when i kept hitting the gas pedal.

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Sounds like it needs:
A good tune up, and the starter is about ready to bite the dust too, unless your ignition switch is bad.
But this is all seat of the pants diagnostics, if you give more info on how the truck acts, as in: has it lost power, is it missing under load, does it buck or stumble under load or highway speed?
All these symptoms, if present, can help in diagnosing a headache in the stomach over the phone.
Refinish King

it drives great, no loss of power, it only runs like crap like i described. in fact, everything from the oil pan up to the intake is only little over a year old. i changed the fuel filter, it looked like it had water in it. still have the same problem. TBI was cleaned and redone recently, but i have had the same problem before, im thinkin its the egr valve / or selonoid too. the starter hasnt acted up anymore so far.
I'm almost 100% sure i know how to fix it. my 89 K5 ran like a top until a few weeks ago, wouldn't crank, i'd have to hold the pedal down to make it run, ran fine if i kept just a little throttle on it, if i let off, went dead immediately. I thought it might be the EGR valve; replaced it, no difference. Then i replaced the EGR solenoid(?) and it runs fine. It was 29 or 30 bucks at autozone, takes about 20 minutes to replace and will run fine afterwards.
Good luck
TB