87 1/2 ton 4x4

I have an 87 Ram 4x4. The steering wheel has alot of play in it, but all the suspension under the front end is tight. I was told there is an adjustment bolt of some type on or near the steering box, but I cannot seem to locate it. If someone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Mark W.

Before you mess with the box look for a bunch of play in the steering column. Borgeson (if they are still around) made a real good replacement

Reply to
Roy

What Roy said. However, to directly answer your question, the nut you're looking for is the over-travel adjustment nut, which is directly opposite the pitman arm (on the other side of the steering box). There should be 4 bolts holding the cover to the box, and the adjustment nut is in the middle of those four. You loosen the locknut with a wrench, then turn the adjuster with an allen key. This isn't really meant as a slop adjuster, so if you have to more than a 1/4 turn or so, you're looking at a new/rebuilt steering box.

But again, before looking for slop in the box, check the steering shaft (I believe a truck that old will have a rag joint at the end of the intermediate shaft - check that for wear, too). A buddy with a big set of channel lock pliers is the best diagnostic tool. Grab the intermediate shaft and hold tight - then see if you still have slop in the steering wheel. If so, it's the U-joint of the intermediate shaft. If not, the problem is further down the line. Grab the outer half of the rag joint, and wiggle the wheel. If it's sloppy then, the rag joint is loose. Then, grab the pitman arm. If slop is detected then, it's in the steering box.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence