89 chevy heavy 1/2 ton 4x4 gear ratio

There are no tags on front or rear of the differential. It has an 11 tooth pinion gear and 41-tooth ring gear and no one around here can give me a clue on how to find the gear ratio. any ideas would be appreciated

Reply to
Nightmarecometrue

I may be way off here, but I think it's just a simple math problem.

Ring teeth / pinion teeth = ratio.

41 / 11 = 3.72

I'm open to being corrected if this is wrong.

Reply to
TomO

You're not, but to be pedantic it's 3.73 when rounded up correctly.

$ echo 41 / 11 | bc -l

3.72727272727272727272
Reply to
Mark Olson

No argument here. I should have thought of that.

Reply to
TomO

Thanks to both of you. Really appreciate it and it sounds right

Reply to
Nightmarecometrue

i know i already thanked you - mark and tom but i wanted to expand on that. you see we live in a small mountain town and it was going to cost me either $600 for the spare parts which would have to be ordered or i had 2 options. This is for the vehicle i use as a plow truck and without a plow truck we are in trouble in the winter (50 miles S. of Canada). I was going to have to either pay $600 and wait - and still not know the gear ratio, buy a used one (scary) or buying a $3500 truck. Since plows are so hard on vehicles there was never a question of putting it on my main rig. Just thought you'd like to know - what i need is in stock for $300 so not only am i saving money, i'm saving a headache.

Reply to
Nightmarecometrue