Moan 75-80 mph???

I have a Chevy Suburban R2500, 2WD, 454.

When I am traveling on the freeway, at approximately 75-80 mph, the engine begins to give off a pulsating moaning sound. If I reduce the RPM's, the noise disappears. There is no vibration felt. Could this be the harmonic balancer? If not, any ideas?

Thanks, Andrew

Reply to
msr971

It is moaning while trying to warn you to slow down before you become a ghost.

Reply to
johnny

You didn't give the year. Exhaust resonance is my guess. Maybe resonance accentuated by rusting thin exhaust pipes. Tires are a maybe as is a wheel bearing or u-joint, but those aren't usually specific to that speed and have other signs as well.

Reply to
Shades

I would add the possibility of noise from the A.I.R. pump. If it didn't pulsate I would check the tranny filter. The air cleaner intake could also cause some moaning as they are very restrictive.

Reply to
Mad Dog

It's a 1990 Suburban without A.I.R.

There is as newly rebuilt trans and engine installed and a K&N filter. The exhaust is also new with a Flowmaster Big Block II muffler and new cat. Does this help?

Thanks, Andrew

Reply to
msr971

not really bro, sorry

Reply to
Mad Dog

I still stick with exhaust resonance. That's allot of engine and if its like mine, the tailpipe is a fairly long one. Try installing a resonator tip to the exhaust, see if it helps.

Reply to
Shades