454 SS Performance

I've got a bone stock 92' 454 SS and it has no power. What performance upgrades could I make on the cheap to reach 500+ hp. Anyone know of a proven matched component set (heads, cam, intake) that will get me there without breaking the bank and also stay with the TBI setup.

Reply to
<mdarkfool

None4U

It had 250 hp stock. You want to cheaply double that? Good luck.

Nitrous is the cheapest way.

Reply to
Troy

500 HP? Ya, ok. Not at 8.5:1 compression. Most people don't really realize what it take to ACTUALLY get to 500HP. Better get out about $5000 or more.
Reply to
Steve Barker

There's no cheap way to make an 18 year old 230HP LT9 engine put out anywhere near that level of power short of a complete rebuild to a higher compression ratio, better cam, etc. and ditching the TBI setup. Headers, cam, intake and larger TBI setup will give you some gains, but involve a lot of work, a fair bit of time and money and at the end of it all, you've still got tired low compression engine that is more thirsty and only marginally faster. I put money, work and time into my '94 Z71 5.7L Suburban TBI rig when it was three years old to try and get more grunt out of it. Intake, larger TBI setup, TBI spacer, exhaust, and Hypertech chip....it did get a bit more mid range torque but nothing dramatic. Not worth the time and effort.

Reply to
Augustus

When I say cheap I'm not talkin' happy meal cheap. How about proficiency at a price point. The truck has 23,000 original miles. So I'm trying to get to get by with the original rotating assembly. What I need is a top half rebuild that will get me close to 500hp. Without going over 10/1 compression, without having a top fuel bump stick, and in keeping with the reliability of the old TBI intake system. I'm willing to pay good money for parts that will harmonize with my goals. What I don't want is to pay for a $2,000.00 set of aluminum heads when a cast set with the right grind would have done the trick.

Reply to
Malachi Darkfool

Getting even close to 500HP the way you suggest simply can't be done. Intake, headers, a decent cam and keeping the original TBI setup and chipping it you'd be lucky to see over 325Hp from the original 230HP. Increase compression how? That takes replacing pistons. Impractical to shave heads and intake unless you can machine them yourself. The original TBI is highly restrictive in fuel and air flow. The factory ECM is extremely conservative for ignition curve, knock sensor input and shift points. The ECM cannot be reprogrammed like a modern one can, you have to swap it or add another in conjunction like the Hypertech ones for those years do. Chip availability is limited now, 18 years after production. Getting close to

500HP from a 230HP engine takes more than minor bolt ons and tweaks.
Reply to
Augustus

NEVER going to happen for less than about $5,000.00 and NO way by just altering the top end only.

Why? The stock lower end will not handle a true 500 HP with the stock crank and rods. The factory TBI will not flow enough for 500 HP without computer and hardware modifications. You will have to go to at least

10:1 compression, that means new pistons and rods. You will need a cam with a VERY non-street/computer friendly grind. Factory heads will have to go. The ports and quench area won't allow 500 hp.

Your best bet would be to pull the factory engine out, Clean it up and store it. Then drop a built engine in that can do what you want.

Reply to
Steve W.

Upon more digging, the 1992 SS454 was a bit different from the '90-91 models.....the cam was better, intake valves bigger, the compression was higher and it had the L480E transmission coupled with a 4.10 rear end. The '90-91's had TH400 and 3.73's. HP was up to 255HP and torque to 405ft.lbs. Very few '92-93 models produced. However, what I said still stands.....no bolt-ons will get you above 325HP and the TBI and ECM are the major issues. Of the entire SS454 '90-93 production run of just under 17,000 there were

1380 made in '92 and only 843 in 1993. I would leave it the way it is.....it's actually quite rare and will be likely be highly collectible at some point. Steve W is 100% correct. 500HP needs a completely purpose built engine from the ground up. To put a real 500HP from a 454 in perspective, it's worth pointing out that the 1970 LS6 was conservatively factory rated at 450HP at a lower than optimal rpm.....with a more realistic factory output close to 475-480 HP in the OLD gross HP rating system. Simply bolting on tuned headers, installing a better intake (factory lowrise one needed for Corvette hood clearance) and rejetting factory Holley 780cfm the put it in the 550HP range. But that engine was essentially a hand built, factory race engine with 11.25:1 compression and specialty parts throughout. That same engine today with those same bolt-ons would be rated around 475HP in the rating system used from 1972 onward.
Reply to
Augustus

Well, start off with what you are willing to spend. It might be possible to boost your performance by 50-60%, but it would be helpful to get a ballpark price range.

A crate engine that puts out 450HP is in the $4000.00 range if you get one of the cheaper units out there.

Look up the price on the following:

New cam plus *all* associated hardware. This will be beyond the RV or RV2 type cams, I suspect. I'd wager this would be around $500+.

You could use your old pistons and re-ring, but do you want to take that risk?

After market TBI or fuel rail system or switch to carburetor.

New intake manifold.

Higher pressure fuel pump if going rail injection.

Chip or interface to tune cam and new fuel/carb system.

New heads or milling cost to work the old heads to add displacement or to shape up for new/old valves to go with the cam,and port work. Could come as a complete kit i.e. cam/heads/valves/rockers and such.

Sit down with a local performance shop and tell them what you want, and they will tell you what it will take. All in all this step will get you a parts list that will mesh with all of the other parts so that you may do each modification as a step without the worry that you are adding a part that will conflict with the performance of another part.

Cam, heads, carb/injection, intake manifold should all be tuned for one another.

Last, but not least, exhaust system.

Turbos and blowers are off of the list since they are not cheap.

I recommend getting a crate engine. If you are a DIYer, then don't plan on doing a weekend job and do a 100% build up of the existing engine. The caveat being that if the block is weak, the entire engine will be weak, and that you will end up spending that same $4000.00, anyway. Save a step.

Reply to
SMF

Usually it's good to start from basic overhauling, fixing faulty components. Change oils and filters. Check and fix the brakes! Check rear brake lines located between frame and gas tank.

For my 1990 ss 454 PU I got:

Edelbrock MPFI and aluminium intake. Edelbrock #2162 cam and lifters. Edelbrock #60499 Heads. Edelbrock Headers and pipes + new cat. Edelbrock Alum. waterpump Crane Steel roller rockers TRW Ls6 pistons Oversized TBI throttle body. New GMPP distributor, rocker covers and Edl coil.

Compression aim is about 10:1 instead 7.8:1 original New oil pump, bearings, air filter, basic overhauling stuff..

If everything goes ok with tune up, you only lose 30% from original 230/245hp (C: )>

This will help to regain original functionality:

AJ.

Gas prices in Finland 95 oct $7.12/gal

weather

webmoney

phone edelbrock and see what they got for you , they do a top end kit for your truck , heads, intake ,cam , if it were me ..id switch to a carb and normal distributor so you can adjust your timing cure and set up fuel mixtures ..

..dont golooking at there HP rating thinking your going to get that ..but im sure something like it will help ...BTW if you did make 500 HP i have me doubts your tranny would handle it fortoo long even changing rear end gears would make what you have now RPM ( rev ) quicker gas mileage would go down

Reply to
Chevy

I have a 90 Chevrolet 454ss with fully rebuilt engine mild race cam everyth ing internally has been replaced with performance parts, and I?m in the process of converting it to carburetor, but I?m in need of hel p don?t know much about these GMs, does anyone know the process on how to get it rolling, I think I?ve got most parts need for it I? ??ve already installed a edelbrock manifold (7561) Holley 850 brawler s eries carb, but haven?t Hooked up anything. Parts I?ve got for the truck

- Msd 6al ign box/ msd mag pick-up distributer(85551)/ coil blaster/ wires

- aeromotive fuel pressure reg (13205)

- sunpro tach

Reply to
franciscolara953

I have a 700 hp 454 with countless parts well over 15k invested with capability of over 1500 hp with parts or supercharger capability

Reply to
glenny.6264