Mysterious recurrent battery leaks

I've had several batteries over the years that started leaking from the positive pole. Is this something some of you others have experienced?
JB

"JB"

very odd indeed. what are you using for a battery hold down?
by chance is the pos. cable low enough at the starter to be catching on brush etc. when your off roading?
I work at a chevy dealer in Phoenix. There has been a problem for many years with Delco side terminal batteries lealing from the pos term. they cant seem to fix the problem. We do many a day, even on 03 and 04 models already. Even Chevy is starting to go back to top post batteries. Try another brand of battery . We recommend Optima batteries. They cannot leak because the acid is suspended in pad inside. Good luck. Scott
Thanks Scott,
I've tried several different brands of batteries and the problem doesn't seem to favor one or the other. I will check out the Optima battery though.
JB
zonie wrote:

JB wrote:

wasn't there some sort of problem with the bolt being too long on a bunch?
Hmmm... I haven't heard that one, but I like the idea. That would explain everything.
Eugene wrote:

I'm using the stock (Chevy Tahoe) hold-down. The battery's not going anywhere. Don't do any off-roading. I'm thinking the alternator might be over-charging the batt.
S.S.I.N. wrote:

JB
Had the same problem with my '02 Trailblazer... I agree with the other post that they're must be some kind of defect with Delco Batteries.
DJ

Indeed seems to be a common problem with the Delco's of the last few years ... just had to replace a leaker in an 00 Grand Prix, and there have been numerous posts about same on the GM truck forums
Home wrote:

As everyone indicated, its common.
The root cause is the lead washer between the two terminals. This washer compreses and causes the bolt to bottom out and break into the battery.
Someone out there has a web site with details for a fix. Basically removing the lead washer and replacing it with a brass one. ( works great ;D)
Cheers

That's got to be my problem. You don't happen to remember where that site was?
Thanks!
JB
Martin Riddle wrote:

Question: Has GM corrected this problem with their cable sets? I've just replaced the original ('96) positive side cables and don't know if I should do mod on them or not.
Thanks!
JB
Martin Riddle wrote:

I don't know if this is true or not. I have a 3 1/2 year old Delco 75a72 battery that just sprung a leak at the positive terminal..... Battery acid everywhere......... I haven't touched this battery or cables since I installed it. I was servicing the vehicle 2 weels ago and all was well, 3 days ago I see acid stains all over the frame rail, open the hood and theres all kinds of shit all over the positive terminal, running right down the battery aqnd all over the tray...... Last GM battery I ever buy..................
Hello All,
I don't know if it will help any of you but I've gone as far as securing the positive and negative cables with heavy duty nylon ties against the frame/fender inside the engine compartments of our trucks to keep the cables from pulling down on the side terminals of the dual battery setups as we bounce around the place.
Franko

washer compreses and causes the bolt to bottom out and break into

battery that just sprung a

haven't touched this battery

and all was well, 3 days

all kinds of shit all over