R12 Topping Off

Page 1 of 2
I have a 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer that blows out warm A/C. It's low on R12 so the compressor just cycles on/off. I'm gonna top it off with R12. Is a gauge
necessary or can I just play it "by air". Where can I find the normal low-side, high-side pressure ranges?
Yes, you're going to need gauges to do it properly. And unless you're a certified A/C tech, most likely you're not going to be able to get hold of any R-12..
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
R-12 is easy to get.

so
Get caught by a local EPA agent:
You'll say dick is easy to get in federal prison too!
Refinish King

R12
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 01:21:18 -0400, "Refinish King"
||Get caught by a local EPA agent:
It would be a lot harder to find an EPA field enforcement agent, much less one that is interested in a DIY guy buying 3 cans of "contraband" from an individual. It's not even on their radar screen. I have never heard of any prosecution from this law, ever. Texas Parts Guy
Come to the Island:
Northumberland County Pennsylvania. Where they will prosecute you for wearing pants "Gangsta" style. (Not that I think that's a bad reason to prosecute for!)
But out here, They'll prosecute you for farting! Air pollution! Unless you're on the correct political parties registration list!
Refinish King
wrote:

one
any
I thought I have heard recently that you can buy R12 almost anywhere is US?

R12

US?
"almost" anywhere?? No, you can buy it ANYWHERE in the US, as long as you have an EPA card. Any of the popular chain auto parts stores have it in stock, just show them your card! As for getting it without a card, I am sure that is possible to, but not legal. Greg
Are you EPA licensed?
Sure you can!
If not, no you can't!
Refinish King

normal
One more question! What is size of the can or container available to choose from and the price range? Thanks for your help!

on
Is
Shop manual goes by condenser inlet temps vs. evap. outlet temps. If you put a gauge on the low side you'll see at what pressure the low side cutout comes on. I think it's about 25 lbs. (going on memory, my brother owns my '89 S Blazer now). Basically if you charge it enough so the low side cutoff doesn't kick in it will have enough in it to cool OK. With the motor revs up to 2-3k make sure the low side doesn't doesn't pull down enough to trip the low side cutoff. I usually go 10lbs over the cutout pressure with good results. It should be a warm day when doing it this way, at least over 75 F . That's how I quickie charge auto systems, 'specially the ones I have no specs for.
--
John

Try the forums at www.aircondition.com, a place dedicated to car A/C.
People who know better than me are going to hate what I'm about to say, but if nothing else is wrong with the A/C you can get the R-12 charge about right if you monitor the inlet and outlet pipe temperatures of the evaporator while the engine runs at fast idle (must be fast, and run the engine at least 10 minutes before charging) and you slowly (emphasis on "slowly") put in R-12 until the outlet is almost as cold as the inlet. Ideally they should be equal, but it's safer to undercharge than overcharge.

Any car repair manual that covers GM vehicles since they went to orfice tubes?
How would I know what type my vehicle currently uses? Does it say on the A/C unit? Is there a certain year it switched over? I currently own a 98 s-blazer & 98 K1500. Would these use the R12 or the 134?
Dave

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, dcbryan wrote:

All '94-up vehicles in North America use R134a. The refrigerant and oil are called out on the A/C information plate or decal, located near the front of the engine compartment and/or on the compressor body.
-Stern
Thanks
Dave

the
98
Actually, 94/95 was the change-over. My 94 Jimmy used R-12...
On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:45:56 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern"

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Mike Levy wrote:

Actually, '93 was the first year some vehicles came from the factory with R134a, and in '94 they all did.
I think you're misremembering your '94 Jimmy.
-Stern
Nope, Mike is 100 percent correct. The 94 S series Blazer and Jimmy were R-12, takes 2.5 pounds to charge from empty. However the 94 S Pickups were 134A. The Blazers were still the old body style. This topic came up before and I had to put pictures of the compressor in my wifes 94 online before anyone would believe it. http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u@80238&a0780228&f95 and up should all be 134 A though.
--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY

Thank you. I also happen to have a pic of the compressor on that old truck floating around, for the same reason.
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:31:20 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern"

Not according to my shop. I also distinctly remember the compressor saying R-12 on it. They agreed with the compressor, said that in order to diagnose/repair the system when I had a problem with it it had to be converted so they could ensure it had a full charge, they had no R-12 left. Turns out all I had to replace was a pressure switch, but that's beside the point...