Rancho RS9000X 9-way adjustment knob

The knob affects only rebound or does it affect both directions of shock travel?
I have two new units here, one exhibits rebound adjustability only, the
knob on the other unit does both directions. WTF? Which one is defective?
RM
B4 I put mine on I checked them out & they (knob) worked both ways.#5 they were hard to pull & push