Ford Escort 1994 Gear Knob Removal

Hi all I have a 1.8TD Escort that requires you lift a ring below the gear knob to access reverse gear. I would like to remove the gear knob to find out what is rattling underneath it. I don't want to just use brute force and try and unscrew the knob and break it. Is there a sequence to remove this, or is it just a case of unscrewing the knob?

Regards

John

Reply to
John Dennington

Just unscrew the knob.

Reply to
John Woodhall

John, followed your advice and promptly chewed up the gear knob. It seems there is a drift pin holding the assembly on.

Reply to
John Dennington

John Dennington came back with::

Ah, well! You'll now know to look for that when you're down at the scrappie's getting off a replacement. It's unlikely to be difficult to find a 1994 Escort there.

Reply to
DB.