XJ lift opinions? OME coils with Rancho RS9000X shocks?

Hi all:

I am about to lift my 91 XJ 4.0 and I am hoping to get some opinions regarding my plans.

Old Man Emu front coils: I was planning OME XJ heavy duty 3" lift coils, but since I plan on adding a heavy front winch bumper and winch, I was told that the OME ZJ lift coils might be a better choice. Anyone try this?

Rancho RS9000X shocks: Anyone try these on their XJ? Rancho lists a longer front shock, but only one rear shock for stock and lifted XJs. What size did you use?

BTW, the rear will be 4" springs (not AALs).

Thanks Cliff

Reply to
thebigreddog!

Hi all:

I am about to lift my 91 XJ 4.0 and I am looking for some opinions:

Old Man Emu front coils: I was planning on using OME XJ heavy duty

3" coils. I will be adding a heavy front winch bumper and winch soon, so I was told that it might be a better idea to use the OME ZJ coils instead as they would provide a little extra lift and a slightly heavier spring rate. Anyone try this?

Rancho RS9000X shocks: Anyone have these on their XJ? Rancho lists a longer front shock, but only a single shock for the rear for both lifted and stock Cherokees. What does everyone use? Bar pin eliminators and a different model?

The rear will be 4" springs (not AALs).

Thanks Cliff

Reply to
thebigreddog!

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I had some problems with my newsreader configuration.

Reply to
thebigreddog

Hi Cliff,

The OME 934 coil for ZJ V8 will give 3+ inches of lift over stock on an XJ. It probably has a better spring rate for your bumper & winch.

OME springs work best when they're part of a complete OME suspension system. Using them out of their intended context defeats the point of all the engineering you're paying for. Maybe consider some less expensive options such as RE 3.5" coils if you're piecing together your lift.

Avoid the RS9000 shocks. For that kind of money you'd do much better with OME Nitros and their more responsive compression valving. An oft-recommended reasonably priced hydro shock is the Doetsch Tech DT3000.

Steve

thebigreddog! wrote:

Reply to
Steve

I actually have a similar question to this, so instead of starting a new thread ...

My shocks are toast and I'm looking at upgrading to Rancho RS9000 all around. I can get 1.5" or 2.5" but I'm not sure I understand what exactly this does. Does this actually mean that with a 2.5" that I can now fit 33's on my CJ7? I didn't know/realize/think that upgrading springs with a bigger "lift" would actually lift the Jeep enough to fit bigger tires. I wasn't planning on changing the leafs or doing any spacing or anything but if I can get 33's as opposed to 31's with little-no rubbing, I'd love to go with

33x9.5 BFG M/T's.

Maybe someone can straighten me out (as usual) as to what this means.

griffin '85 CJ-7

Reply to
griffin

Thanks for the info Steve. I did not find much of a price difference between the OME springs ($130 pair including shipping) and the RE ones ($100 pair plus shipping). Is there a cheaper source for RE springs? Have you tried the RS9000Xs? Many people have recommended that I avoid Rancho shocks with the primary complaint being that they are too stiff, but I am having difficulty in finding people who actually have used the RS9000Xs. With their current promo for a free in-cab controller, I am tempted to try them. :)

Reply to
thebigreddog

Those shocks lengths are to match lift heights. You need longer shocks for a lift.

Mike

griff>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have only heard good things about the rancho 9000 shocks. The 5000's will knock out fillings.

Mike

thebigreddog wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike. Are there any other issues with Rancho shocks besides their excessive stiffness? I assume that with the RS9000X's nine settings, at least the softest one or two settings should be useable. :)

Cliff

Reply to
thebigreddog

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The 9's can be adjusted so play away. I imagine with a load on you might want them up hard. Cherokee rear leafs are pretty stiff still, don't know about the lift ones.

Mike

thebigreddog wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes, I am looking for a relatively comfortable ride in the XJ. This is to be my daily driver, as I am getting too old to drive my 92 Renegade on 35" Boggers everyday. :)

Reply to
thebigreddog

Aren't there some 'adjustable' Rancho shocks out there? Can't they be 'tuned' down for a softer ride?

Reply to
SteveBrady

I have the RS9000X shocks, but they are on a ZJ that has far softer suspension, plus I grew up on British sports cars [where springs were an extra cost option] so their firmer ride suits me just fine. I strongly suspect that on anything but the fairly soft ZJ, they might be a tad harsh... and I do run them softer off road than on the street, mostly due to the cost of dental services these days.

thebigreddog proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon