Repair manuals

Can anybody tell me is the Haynes Manual for s10 and s15 GMC 1983 thru 1994 including section on 4x4 the best out there? If not what is the best and where can I get one?

I have the Haynes '82-'93 S-10/S-15, there is no "section" dedicated to 4x4. There is one on the transfer case, but it's a mere 5 pages. The factory manuals are what you want if you want the best.
My opinion:
1. Factory Manuals 2. ALLData 3. Mitchell 4. Haynes 5. Chilton
Steve
Thanks Steve I need all the help I can muster, I've never 4x4'ed before. One thing I could use an answer about is what would be the most common problem when I know the transfer case and the front pumpkin are engaging but the front wheels aren't? I'm taking it in for a full tune-up and having that problem fixed but I'd like to know for reference what to do myself. Thanks, nubee
You'll have to ask a 4x4 guy that, I just stumbled into this place. I usually don't know where I am.
But, if it's an answer you are looking for, without knowing the year/make/model and without pulling up any manuals, I would say it has something to do with the front hubs. Either they're manual and you didn't lock them, they are electric and there is something wrong with the electronics or the hubs are mechanically messed up.
But don't take my word for it.
Steve

nubee wrote:

It's unlikely that both the front diff (pumpkin...what's that? Must be some sort of American expression) and the t/case are engaged, but you don't have any drive to the front wheels. The S-series use a vacuum motor to engage the front diff. You have a switch on the t/case, vacuum source to the switch, vacuum line from the switch to the vacuum motor located under the battery tray, and then a vent line at the switch. Work your way back from the the front diff vaccum motor and check your source and switch points to determine where your problem is. Might be switch, vacuum lines.
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

    Pumpkin is Mid-Western American term for the Center Section of a Axle. A "Pig" is slang for the ring & pinoin plus carrier. Both come from fore and aft views. Old 60's and 70's trucks (1 ton dual rear wheels and medium dutys) had a axle center section that resembled a pumpkin from behind. Where as front removiable center sestions tend to resemble a pig/hogs head when laying on a work bench from a distance. Charles