S10 Blazer ac clutch or compressor?

I was driving down the road and my compressor stopped turning and melted the belt.
How can you tell if it is the clutch or the compressor itself?
There appears to be a bunch of black power all over the clutch area, not
sure if that was from the belt or the clutch itself.
I don't want to replace the compressor if it's just the clutch but have no idea how to check it.
LS
"" wrote: > I was driving down the road and my compressor stopped turning > and melted the > belt. > > How can you tell if it is the clutch or the compressor itself? > > There appears to be a bunch of black power all over the clutch > area, not > sure if that was from the belt or the clutch itself. > > I don't want to replace the compressor if it's just the clutch > but have no > idea how to check it. > > LS
Turn the A/C off and start the engine if all turns fine then it is your comp. if all doesnt turn fine then it is the bearing in the pulley.Or you can try this with the belt off as well if you want.
I have it disconnected right now and it turns fine with the motor running. That means it's the compressor then? Dang, I did not want to hear that.
What all is involved in converting it over? My dad has the hoses, gauges and capture tank for the freon but no longer has the vacuum pump to evacuate the system.
LS

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-S10-Blazer-ac-clutch-compressor-ftopict128367.html
Piece of cake,just get a replacement compressor, install it and take to a A/C shop to get it evacuated,you can charge it yourself.