Can I remove the AC compressor permanently.

I have a 1994 Taurus LX V6 3.8 Liter Engine with a bad AC compressor. With the compressor unplugged it is smoking the serpentine belt. (compressor is freezing up). Is it possible to remove the AC compressor permanently an buy and install a new(Shorter)belt. How dose the belt work on a car with no AC?

Thanks in advance Henry

Reply to
Henry Criss

If the compressor is unplugged, there should be no drag on the belt. Sounds more likely that the clutch is hung up. SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Sounds like a clutch bearing failure. If you are lucky, you may be able to replace the clutch assembly which can be done w/o removing the compressor. I do not recall whether there was a option for no air on that engine in that vintage but, if there was, you may be able to find an idler sheave in a salvage yard to replace your compressor. I suspect you will be much better off to open it up to see whether you can simply replace the clutch. You may also note that operation of the a/c system is also important during cool weather to defrost/demist the windows.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

They do make an after market pulley that can be used.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I agree - buy a clutch. spend the $80 or whatever... I had to do this on an old '78 LeBaron and it was worth it.

Reply to
GMach3

Only worth it if the rest of the system is sound. If it needs a clutch, condenser, reciever, and a couple hoses, save your money. The

3.8 is likely ready to pop an intake gasket or timing cover gasket and wash out the bearings anyway. On a more valuable vehicle, sure, but nothing stopping you from taking the compressor off completely and putting on a shorter belt - and/or possibly an idler to take the compressor's place. Up here in the rust belt the average '94 Taurus 3.8 isn't worth much more than the compressor.
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I think the idler pulley was about $50. I don't recall whether they got it at NAPA or the dealer. If the AC is not to be used, I like the idea of taking everything off.

Reply to
Al Bundy