98 Blazer AC compressor replace

The AC stopped, day or two ago. I checked, the low side is 90 or so. Clutch in, the end is turning. But, not cooling.
Looks like release the serpentine belt. Four bolts, the one bolt to the
gasket and hoses. One wire to the clutch. Anything else to know?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's about it. When you put the replacement HT-6 on make sure that all 4 mounting bosses are in good contact before you tighten the bolts. The design of the compressor is such that if the case gets twisted or is put under torsion while on the mount they like to leak at the pump body seam. If you're planning on a salvage compressor take a REALLY close look at the body seams, The center section is a press fit to the end caps with O rings for seals. If you find any oil/green ooze/or dampness around it, look at another one.
http://www.ackits.com/c/compkit/15-Compressor+Kit+Listings.html has a complete kit with new parts for around $300.00 Includes the comp&clutch, drier, orifice tube, and O rings for the lines.
If you want to make sure you don't have leaks you could use http://www.acsource.com/sandencloneforgmht6compressor.aspx
--
Steve W.

Thanks, good counsell about the seams, seals, and twisting. I got a rebuilt at Advance Auto. Will be careful about the bolt torque.
It occured to me, I think I've got a Haynes, or Chilton manual.
The old wreck is coming up on 200k miles. I'm not going to do the filter, orifice, etc. Just drop the pump in, add a can of PAG oil charge, some refrigerant, and hope for the best.
[...]

The old one came out, easy as can be. "this is too easy". The new one is missing the high limit pressure switch in the back. I'm not going to try and reuse the existing one, it's sure to leak. Store has one on order, and we'll see if I can get that one in. Meantime, a thunder storm passed through. Good thing I had the old compressor setting back in, and the refrigerant lines screwed back on. So the system doesn't pick up a lot of moisture.
The pressure switch was supposed to be at the store about noon. They called about 1 PM. I pulled the old one, went, compared. Bought one. Came home, and finished the reinstall. Put in some refrigerant, said a couple more prayers.
During the testing, the ambient temp (point IR thermom at the glove box) was 94, and the vent temp was 62.
We'll see if it works, tomorrow. That's the question.
The old one came out, easy as can be. "this is too easy". The new one is missing the high limit pressure switch in the back. I'm not going to try and reuse the existing one, it's sure to leak. Store has one on order, and we'll see if I can get that one in. Meantime, a thunder storm passed through. Good thing I had the old compressor setting back in, and the refrigerant lines screwed back on. So the system doesn't pick up a lot of moisture.
July 11, 2012 AC still works. Musta done some thing right.
July 07, 2012 wrote in message The old one came out, easy as can be. "this is too easy". The new one is missing the high limit pressure switch in the back. I'm not going to try and reuse the existing one, it's sure to leak. Store has one on order, and we'll see if I can get that one in. Meantime, a thunder storm passed through. Good thing I had the old compressor setting back in, and the refrigerant lines screwed back on. So the system doesn't pick up a lot of moisture.