Suburban Steering

I have a 88 Chevy Suburban 2wd, 1/2 ton. When I turn my Suburban on the steering wheel turns to the right on it's own, which causes the vehicle to drift to the right while driving. Has anyone else had this problem with a Suburban? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
gumahn

I had a 70 road runner that would do that....soon as you started it,it would turn right.Pissed me off so much I sold it,Im still kicking my self for selling it.Damn that thing was fast.....

Never figured out why.

Reply to
D-farr

You need to replace the steering box, I had this happen to me once when my 89 4x4 burb was still under warranty. It has been fine since and that was 13 years ago.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Tire pressures, wheel bearings, alignment, steering box, tweaked frame...many possibilities.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
TheSnoMan

THAT is when he is having the problem...While driving!

Reply to
Shades

That not what he said, he said when he turns it on!

Reply to
TheSnoMan

...which causes it to turn to the right while driving...!

Reply to
Shades

The OP's description isn't very clear. If you go strictly by what he said, "When I turn my Suburban on the steering wheel turns to the right on it's own", it would have to be the sector. If you assume that the above is incorrect, it could be any of several things. Until he says differently, I'd have to think that as soon as he starts it, the steering wheel begins turning to the right. I may be wrong, tho.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

But if it turns to the right before you even start moiving, it is the steering box, , not the tires, brakes or chassis. There is a balancing valve in the box that has gone bad.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

They forgot to Put a COMMA ( ,) between Suburban on & The Steering Wheel

Hairy wrote:

Reply to
no one