Suspension Question

I'm ready to drop my Ford Explorer like a bad habit and get myself a Chevy Tahoe. I've been wanting a Z71, but then that brings me to this question.
I want the smoothest ride, and I'm confused at a few details of the LT and Z71 suspension. The LT says it has an "autoride" feature which minimizes the vibration of the road of highway and city streets. The Z71 doesn't mention this feature. Does that mean the Z71 would have a rougher ride? or is it, because the Z71 has the off-road suspension, it would be smoother than the LT's autoride?
Thanks for any info!
Tim

Tim,
The Z71 is going to ride rougher on paved roads, but handle better offroad than the LT. Likewise the LT will be smoother on-road but not handle quite as well offroad.
Doc

Thanks for the information. I hardly EVER go off-road. Only times are when I go out to one of this area's lakes and it's just some rough terrain to get to where I want to be. So I'd be willing to sacrifice that for a smoother on-road feel.

I think you have a couple of things confused. Mine is a pickup but it is a Z71 with LT trim. I think the Z71 is a suspension package and the LT is a trim package. Mine doesn't have the autoride feature but it was an available option. I know nothing of which I speak so its just my .02 cents!
Well, it's listed on Chevy's website and other auto-related websites (like Edmunds.com and MSN Cars) as its own Trim, going from LS, to LT, to Z71.
But thanks for the 2 cents ;-)

Don't listen to Edmunds, they have leather listed as an option on my 97 S-10 and premium sound system, which neither of it did that vehicle have as an option. The LS and LT are the trim levels, Z71 is the off road package. I have a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado which is a LT trim level and its has the Z71 off road package. LT comes with all the goodies such as leather and other toys, the LS is mostly cloth seats and some goodies. Z71 is basically stiffer and more ridged shocks and a beefier springs. I have seen LS trucks with the Z71 package, but thats only on trucks, I never have seen an LS Tahoe with the Z71 Off Road Package.

In fact, Edmunds (and the Chevy website :) is correct for the Tahoe which (for nbs) is available in 3 models: LS, LT, Z71 ... Z71 being a distinct, separate model and not an add-on option ... However, there are some LT options that you can't get on the Z71 (like AutoRide)
Kiel Uyttenhove wrote:

Well being I own a Z71, I know that Z71 is not a trim level, its an off road package (off road suspension), it has nothing to do with the trim level.

Dude, we're talking about the TAHOE in which the Z71 is an entirely separate model from the LS and LT, not just an optional package ... whereas on the Silverado, Z71 is simply an optional package. http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe /
Kiel Uyttenhove wrote:

Read some of the first few posts on this topic, people were thinking that the Z71 package was part of the trim level, I was simply saying its not, as you said, its an optional package. I know someone who has a 2002 Chevy Tahoe LT Z71, I have not seen many LS Tahoes with the Z71 Off Road Package.

Markeau, I stand corrected, sorry...... I didnt know that there were 3 models, I was refering to the older tahoes, 1999 and older. I now see that they have a 2wd drive version of the Z71 also. Thanks for pointing that out.
Kiel Uyttenhove

By the way, isnt the Z71 in addition to, or in place of the LS and LT trime levels?

Just to add to the confusion here... my 98 K1500 has the Silverado trim with the z71 off road package
Dave

my 87 k5 has the rust package......

Cheryl and Rob wrote:

I think that was a standard package on those years and not an option. Our 79 seemed to have gotten two of them :)