Tahoe front axle 'electric conversion solenoid'?

Is there an aftermarket conversion to this problem? Perhaps called 'electric conversion solenoid with harness' -- if yes, anyone know where to get one?

I've got a buzzing comming from the front axle of a 1995 4x4 Tahoe (2dr). I bought this truck 4 months ago. This past weekend we got 2 ft of snow, and I used 4wd high & low for the first time.

The following day I noticed a buzzing from the front, and it goes away if I engage 4-low, but it's present in 4-high/2-high. It gets loud and goes quiet, and doesn't seem too bad at high speed. In fact, it explains the very faint buzzing noise I (very) occasionally heard prior to this incident, which I had thought might be the rear diff but wasn't. In its now-worsened state I don't feel comfortable driving the truck.

So it seems I've got a problem with getting the front fully disengaged. Does that sound right?

Then I founnd this:

>> My 95 tahoe will not engage the 4wd - shifts ok, but it doesnt >>> seem to engage the axle...anyone have his problem? >> sounds like the front axel shift motor needs to be replaced > 1995 has the front axle with the thermo shift solenoid in the > front axle. Has a fluid that must heat up to shift. Bad engineering. > Chevy replace approx 75,000 of them in 95-96 but no recall. Go to a > dealer and get the electric conversion solenoid and harness. Takes > about 1/2 hout to install. This will make a solid shift every time. > Try
(Brasington Cadillac) Got my conversion> there last yr for $76 with shipping and it works flawlesly.

I don't have any manual so I have no idea how this thing is put together. (the darn hood latch just decided to quit also...go figure). Does it use a linkage or electric or both?

If anybody has a URL or PDF of an exploded view of this axle / diff assembly then please send it to me.

Thanks.

-JAZ-

(Please excuse the 'burp' when replying)

Reply to
Jaz

I bought the motor and harness from the chevy dealer. cost 110. complete and can be changed easily in the driveway in 45 minutes. works great now. john

Reply to
johnny

I just thought I'd update this post --

I've been discussing on the off-road.com forum:

I spoke with posi-lok. Once I've driven 10 miles or so (it's ~30 degree outside) and the front differential is warmed up, then the buzzing begins. If I pick up each front wheel (separately) they spin freely but I hear the buzz comming from the diff in the vacinity of the 4x4 locl / actuator.

So I'm off to find the newer electro-soleniod (or a posi-lok). Hopefully the internal push-off spring is okay and the new solenoid actuator will fix it.

Cheers,

-JAZ-

Jaz forgot to take the pills and typed:

(Please excuse the 'burp' when replying)

Reply to
Jaz

you've got to get one from a dealer... I got mine from

you'll have to talk their parts dept in order to get the proper adapter harness, but the electromechanical actuator is PN

26060073

a buzzing? that's not a good sound. the thermo actuator *can't* make a buzzing sound, it's simply a heater, some gas and a piston.

put the front of the truck on jackstands, crawl under the front, remove the old actuator (front of axle, above centerline) and see if the buzzing stops. if it does, the actuator got stuck partway out, and you've probably done a number on the CAD splines in the axle.

kinda..... just pray it's not the splines..

the stock system uses a thermo electric solenoid that pushes on a plunger inside the axle that connects 2 sets of splines that send power to the passenger-side (if memory serves) axle. the driver side axle is always connected to the differential.

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Reply to
jdoe

Well, that was it. I'm yet to hook up the harness. BTW I don't understand why GM puts the spacer in the box with the harness, not in with the actuator, now I'll have to remove the actuator to install the damn spacer, not to mention that the new unit is _plastic_! Hello GM?! Who the heck is at the helm of the parts division? Bozo the clown?

-JAZ- (Please excuse the 'burp' when replying)

Reply to
Jaz

the spacer is included with the harness as not all models being retrofitted require it. there are several part #'s available for different adapter harnesses. only the vehicles requiring them get them. I have no issue with the actuator being plastic... it's in a place where that if you've managed to break the plastic off, you've done some serious damage to your front end.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase