towing 4x4's

Page 1 of 2
I'm moving about 1,500 miles. I have two S-10s, both are four wheel drives. I plan on towing one behind the other with a towbar. Other than making sure the radiator is covered well to keep road debris out,
what else do I need to do to do this right?
Thanks much
Obviously you could should put the transfer case in nuetral, hook up lites to the towed vehicle, some states require this, make sure your brakes are in top condition on the #1 S-10. Make sure all the wheels turn freely, no brake drag on the towed vehicle. Lots of things here mostly common sense and caution.

-
I would suggest strongly against flat-towing it. If you MUST, remove the driveshafts and cover the tailshaft opening. If that truck somehow drops out of the neutral you put it in, what are you gonna do? How do you propose locking the steering? I am not sure I'd trust myself to lock it PERFECTLY straight, and even so, it doesn't always lock at the exactly straight position. Not sure I'd trust the steering wheel locking mechanism. Put it on a flatbed, or a tow dolly at the least and drag the rear wheels.

u-haul here in n.c does, guy next door just rented one a few months back.

I think, I'm not sure, but I think they are restricted to local rental.
Uhaul most certainly DOES rent tow dollies.
I've seen a small bump in a road drop a tcase from neutral into 4lo <on a Cherokee> Took out the entire powerpack.
Do not, do not, do not lock the steering!!!!!!
Just ASK rental also rents them, I dont know if you would have one in your area, but they are usually inside of a TrueValue hardware store

Uhaul has an interactive website I see. They won't rent me one if I'm pulling my S-10 with an S-10. So I guess thats out. From what I can tell, this is also true if I want to use a vehicle trailer. I don't guess its necessarily illegal, but I would guess their engineers are covering their ass from possible lawsuits.
oh, and I have a tough time getting my tcase into 4lo on purpose!
"D.Murphy" wrote:
> > > Uhaul most certainly DOES rent tow dollies. > > > > I've seen a small bump in a road drop a tcase from neutral > into 4lo > > &lt;on > > a Cherokee&gt; Took out the entire powerpack. > > > > Do not, do not, do not lock the steering!!!!!! > > > > Uhaul has an interactive website I see. They won't rent me > one if I'm > pulling my S-10 > with an S-10. So I guess thats out. From what I can tell, > this is > also true if I want to > use a vehicle trailer. I don't guess its necessarily illegal, > but I > would guess their > engineers are covering their ass from possible lawsuits. > > oh, and I have a tough time getting my tcase into 4lo on > purpose!
just tellem your gona tow a litle car. Must be trying to cover there a$$ so that they know youll be able to properly operate safely. I havent seen anyone post this but remember if your loading both trucks up with boxes and stuff it wont be to hard get to the maximum tow weight. Also i dont know how true this is but I was told that when you flat tow or use a dollie your tow weight is reduced due to all the geometry especially if youre turning alot. Like i said i was just told that , dont know how tru it is.
do you put transmission in neutral after stopping? Ought to go right into 4Lo. Check the fluid and bearings, also linkage.
"D.Murphy" wrote:
> > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> I'm moving about 1,500 miles. I have two > S-10s, both are four > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> wheel > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> drives. I plan on towing one behind the other > with a towbar. > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> Other than > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> making sure the radiator is covered well to > keep road debris out, > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> what > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> else do I need to do to do this right? > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> Thanks much > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>>- > >
Im possitive that both uhaul and budget rent the front wheel dollie trailers. Ive rented from both. If they say they dont call another one, i know up here thare are a couple people who rent uhauls and buget in just about every town. Ive got 4 in my small town of 15,00ppl ant atleast another 12 places i can think of within 15min. There well worth a couple hundred youll have to pay

DON'T lock the steering. The front wheels will caster just fine and the towed vehicle will track right behind you. It will even go around corners easier without the steering locked. I have never had a problem with a tow bar and I have used it often.
Removing the drive-shafts is the best way. I take it off at the diff and just wire it up and out of the way so dirt will not be able to enter the transfer case and the oil will not spill out. -- Regards Gordie
Hey guys, does ANYONE read the entire thread before posting? I got the point after the FIRST time, and the scalding continued for THREE HOURS. I can't imagine it took that long for the posts to propagate to the news servers.
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 21:38:37 -0400, The Nolalu Barn Owl <&#103&#111&#114&#100&#105&#101&#64&#110&#111&#108&#97&#108&#117&#46&#111&#110&#46&#99&#97> wrote:

D.Murphy wrote:

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER LOCK THE STEERING WHEN 'FLAT TOWING' OR WHEN TOWING ON A TOW DOLLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike Levy, I pity you if you have done that!!!
Pull the front driveshaft completely out. Unbolt the rear driveshaft from the pumpkin and secure it up...DO NOT remove it from the t-case! Make sure the e-brake on the towed S-10 works in case you have to disconnect and leave it for some reason. Leaving the rear driveshaft in place allows you to quickly make the vehicle road worthy if needed and also keeps the t-case sealed like no amount of tape can!
Air up the towed S-10 tires at LEAST to max recommended...a little more wont hurt at all especially if you have it loaded with stuff.
Lights on #2 and great brakes on #1 like Shep said and if #1 has an automatic, get it flushed and a filter change before you go. Also, run at least 10W-40 if not 20W-50 in #1 for the trip.
Stop and check the connection between the 2 at least every other rest stop or every 1-2 hours...sounds like allot, but it beats the alternative.

great idea about securing the shaft up against the body. Hadn't thought of that. If he does it WELL, it's the best way to go.
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

Mike ,if you are flat towing with a tow bar, you do not lock the wheel.

-

Can ya tell I haven't done this? I do see now where the problem lies, I just didn't think one would want the steering wheels wobbling around. Forgive me for trying to be helpful, I'll go stand in a corner...