towing 4x4's

I'm moving about 1,500 miles. I have two S-10s, both are four wheel drives. I plan on towing one behind the other with a towbar. Other than making sure the radiator is covered well to keep road debris out, what else do I need to do this right?

Thanks much

Reply to
D.Murphy

put the towed vehicle transfer case and transmission in neutral. Leave the steering unlocked so it will trail ok.

Reply to
Steve W.

"D.Murphy" wrote: > I'm moving about 1,500 miles. I have two S-10s, both are four > wheel > drives. I plan on towing one behind the other with a towbar. > Other > than making sure the radiator is covered well to keep road > debris out, > what else do I need to do this right? > > Thanks much

I believe I would leave it is 2wd and remove rear driveshaft because if you do that. Nothing but the axles will turn. You could just put Tcase in neutral but that would still spin up the rear output shaft and bearings in the Tcase with drive shaft left on.

Reply to
SnoMan

"SnoMan" wrote: > I believe I would leave it is 2wd and remove rear driveshaft > because if you do that. Nothing but the axles will turn. You > could just put Tcase in neutral but that would still spin up > the rear output shaft and bearings in the Tcase with drive > shaft left on.

i used to flat tow my jeep alot. I would unbolt the drivshafts at the diffs and wire tie them up out of the way. This way there is no spinning of driveshafts, tcase, or trans. I would also sometimes rent one of the front wheel trailers. With these you only have to unbolt rear driveshaft and you dont have to worry about stearing. if you go to a national rantal place like uhaul or budget you can pick it up near your home and drop it off at a store near the new house. I would usually flat tow it for a daily 4wheelin trip, used the front wheel traillers when i would take long trips from mass to colorado, baja, utah and other good wheelin spots like those.

Reply to
Maack

take out the rear drive shaft in the towed unit

better yet, take 'em both out

yes, I know...........the transfer case supposedly has a 'pump' to keep the thing lubed while being towed, but do you know it's working ?

a few minutes could save you a transfer case

Reply to
TranSurgeon

The pump is there to lube the transfer case all the time, not just when towing.

Usually, the manufacturer has towing instructions in the owners manual.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai