Transmission: lost 1st and fourth same day

'93 K1500 Suburban 5.7 (460LE trans, I believe, too hot to check it right now)
So I'm driving into town this morning, I gun it to get up a hill. It
downshifts into first, we get up the hill, harsh shift into 2nd... Later on today, I get in it to go home, it will not shift into 1st gear, even with the column shifter in 1st. On the hiway, I see that it won't stay in 4th - it only shifts into 4th if I have no pressure on the gas pedal, but as soon as I give it gas, it downshifts.
I can't read the stupid dipstick, it's either a pint low or a pint high, can't tell.
I will probably take it to a tranny shop anyway, but I like to be an informed consumer. Or, if it's an easy fix (rofl)...
Much thanks.
Yes, that's a 4L60E sorry for the typo
And some history: prior to this, it had a hard 1-2 shift and a mushy 3-4 shift. Not too severe, so I wasn't too concerned.
Is the oil connected to the tranny in any way? The oil sensor has been reading very high (pegged) at RPMs above 2500, then drops on a downshift. I figured my oil sensor went bad, is it possible that it is good and it has something to do with my prob?
Thanks again.
QBS wrote:

Engine oil no way connected to tranny, incompatble lubricants. Tranny probably just worn out. I got a quote for a 700R4 from Chevy parts dept. for a 1991 1500 with a 4.3, with converter was only $1400.
Whitelightning
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:15:33 GMT, "Whitelightning"

You can get a good rebuilt one form Bull Dog transmissions for less and you can have them in different "flavors" too and that has upgraded parts replacing some of its weaker links. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
QBS wrote:

Losing 1st and 4th at the same time is commonly caused by a burned out shift-A solenoid. Very easy repair, the solenoid is less than $20. If you can change a trans fluid filter you can replace this solenoid. Jerry