what is causing gear shifter not to move on a 94 1 ton 5 speed trans

i can't get my shifter into gear! what could be the problem?

Shall we assume no difference if it's running or not?

if this truck needs to apply breaks to shift from park it should be the stop lamp switch to check this turn key to the first position and apply breaks then try to shift to N if it goes replace stop lamp switch on break peddle ps you should be able to start truck at this time