2002 rsx cd head unit - Aux jack?

I thought someone here might know. My girlfriend has a 2002 RSX with a standard "acura" cd player... no changer. Is it adaptable in the rear to some sort of cable to allow an auxilliary input? I wanted to hook up an mp3 player through an aux input like my car cd player has in the front. I wasn't sure how to take off the face plate of her rsx to check the back of her unit and I thought maybe someone here has first hand experience. Just an rca mini input jack is all I need.

Thanks Randy

Reply to
yksmir

There's no such jack on the stock hu. Your best bet is to replace the hu. I found an alpine cde-9845 (I think that's the model no) which filled my needs - a significant improvement in the overall sound, and the important aux jack on the back, for only 140$. You may be able to do better. Then you want to check out clubrsx.com for installation guides. I ran a wire from the back of the hu to a jack on the panel next to the power outlet, it works great.

You could try one of the various rf modulators out there and see if you can get one working to your satisfaction, but if you're at all picky about the sound you won't have much luck with that approach.

Barnburner©

That's interesting because I was also informed that there is such a beast. The little door space below the HU is for an optional acura tape deck which plugs into a special slot on the back of the HU. Hense the cd/tape button on the HU. I was told they make harnesses that fit that slot and give you an aux mini plug for all my mp3 player needs. I'm guessing it'll be too tight a fit to get my hand up to the back of the unit to plug the harness in so I'll have to figure out how to remove it for access... but it sounds like this is exactly what I need. I tried an rf modulator.... they suck in a big city. Thanks.

Reply to
yksmir

Yes, I was also told that there was such an adaptor thingie. No, no-one had it, or had ever had it, or had any clue where exactly I could get one. Try calling all the big car audio dealers, see if you have any more luck that I did.

By the time you've located this supposed adaptor, you could just upgrade the hu. Another reason to do this is that the stock hu truly sucks, unless you're just using it for ambient background music (because that's all you're ever going to get out of it).

Replacing the hu, or just accessing the back of it isn't a big deal - you need to pop off the panel with the power outlet, unscrew 2 screws that hold the stereo chassis in (these are tricky because of the depth, but not a problem with the right tools) and then just slide the whole unit out after an initial pop. If you're installing a new hu, you'll have to build an wiring harness adaptor for your hu - all this stuff is covered (with details and pictures!) at clubrsx.com.