Acura TL vs Infinity G vs BMW, etc.

For those of you who have purchased the new TL I'd like to hear why you chose this car over the other vehicles in it's class like the Infinity, MB, BM|W, Lexus, etc.

Also, how is the front drivers room? Unfortunately we don't have a local Acura dealer so I'm going to have to take a drive to check one out. I'm in the market for an entry level luxury sedan or coupe. Our kids are grown and this will just be my toy. However, I'm 5' 10" and weigh 240lbs and some of the sportier models seem a bit cramped to me, but I'm not really in the market for a big car, but rather something sporty and fun.

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Jack Dotson

All nice cars .... the new 3 series is real nice. I test drove the TL, G35X, 330xi, and A4 Quattro and decided for my needs, the A4 worked best.

But, I knew when I purchased it, long term reliability isn't what the TL or G35 would be...but the fun to drive factor is nice. The new

2.0T is pretty nice also.

YMMV.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Why do you say long term reliability isn't what the TL or G35 would be? I thought reliability was one of their strong points? Also, I owned a 2002 VW Passat with the 1.8T motor and triptonic A/T (son has it now) which is essentially an A-4 underneath the shell. Same motor, frame, etc. It was/is a great car, but having already owned the VW I'm looking for something a little different to try.

Reply to
Jack Dotson

I have a 2004 TL. Here's why I didn't choose the following (remember, this is just my opinion):

Lexus - Very nice cars but not as sporty as the TL I wanted the sportiness and handling.

Infinity - The G35 interior was it's downfal. I just don't like it.

BMW - for a similarily equiped 3-class, i'd have to spend up to as much as $8K more. Not worth it to me.

Audi - I looked at the A4 but the reliability information I found was an issue

I'm 5' 9". Not big but it doesn't seem cramped to me.

I love this car. Good luck!

Reply to
Lee Florack

After driving BMW 5 series cars for nine years, I also got an 04 TL.

IMO, it's a better car than the 530i we had last. The TL doesn't handle quite as well as the rear-drive BMW, but it's quicker and has the BMW beat hands down in interior comfort, style and accessories.

It's also about $15,000 less. I wouldn't compare it to the BMW

545, but that car, equally equipped, is nearly twice the TL's price.

Same here on those two cars, particularly the G35, which looks overstyled to me.

I've had three 5's, never wanted a 3.

Same here. Poor reliability reports across the entire Audi line.

Reply to
Larry J.

We pretty much agree then. I wouldn't have considered the '04 RL, but the '05 looks much nicer. When it's time to trade in my TL, I'm going to look at the RL too. I have my doubts about the sportiness, but I at least need to give it a try. Not sure it's worth the extra $15K either.

Reply to
Lee Florack

If you read around Consumer Reports, JD Power or Edmunds, it is pretty clear the A4 isn't up to par with the TL or G35 (long-term) ... and I own an A4!

My experience (luckily) hasn't reflected that: I have 60,000 miles on my 2001 and beside (early on) an annoying wind noise (fixed under warranty), and the ECT sensor going bad, I have done nothing but oil changes. But, I think beyond 100,000 miles, the TL and/or G35 will win the reliability factor.

I agree with the others, I didn't care for the G35 interior and I didn't fit very well in the BMW..

For me the TL didn't cut it because I wanted all-wheel drive (we live in Colorado) and I couldn't afford the RL.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Try the Subaru Impreza STi, either will kick the TL, G or almost anything on the road at half the price.

Although it's a bit less than the cars in the class we've been discussing, at $32K, it's certainly not anywhere near half the price of any of them. Also, although it's certainly a matter of opinion, I don't think it's in the same class as the rest of the vehicles we're discussing. It's certainly very fast and sporty. But it's not a luxury or near luxury car.

Reply to
Lee Florack

I think the major differences will be all-wheel drive, larger interior, and another 30 hp.

Reply to
Larry J.

I think you guys are being snobs. Go check one out! 300hp and one of the best awd systems out there. Plus Subaru was rated number one for reliability for 2004, 2005 by Consumer Reports. The Forester XT would out perform some of the cars your discussing never mind the STi.

I didn't say the STi wasn't a nice car. I didn't any of the cars being discussed was better. I said the STi isn't in the same class. The class I'm talking about it near luxury sport sedan.

Reply to
Lee Florack

The TL is not the most sporty Acura, but is more luxurious. You asked about the legroom. I am 6'2" and 245 lbs. I drove the TL and it had plenty of leg room and was quite comfortable. Reliability would also be excellent for any Acura vehicle. Posted by the Rubber Dino.

Reply to
dino