2004 Acura TL Vs. 2004 Infinity G35 Sedan

Hi all: It is almost the time to turn in my beloved 2000 Acura Integra GS-R. That said, I am in the market for a new car. I had a few choices that have been discarded such as: BMW 325i, Audi A4 1.8T, and the Nissan Maxima. Now I am really torn between the the TL and the G35. I have driven both cars and that only made it harder for me. I now that both cars have similarities and differences, but I wanted to get opinions from both sides. Please advise.

Sonoman

Reply to
Sonoman

Do you need 4 doors or a large trunk? If not, check out the G35 coupe, which is like a Datsun 350Z, but with a slightly longer wheelbase to permit a tight but usable back seat and a trunk (instead of hatchback), Infiniti luxury features, and Infiniti dealer service. A lot of car for the money.

Reply to
John Varela

Thanks for the response. The G35 Coupe would have been my first choice hands down. I did not want to go into boring details, but this car is actually for my wife and she wants a four door. The G35 Coupe is definitely on MY list.

Reply to
Sonoman

I had about a 3 hour solo test drive in the G35. I liked the power and the RWD, but thought the interior was ugly. I found the interior seats uncomfortable (seat belt latch dug in to my thigh). I also found the shifter to be a bit balky. So for me it was a no brainer: nice engine mated to RWD but styling I just couldn't live with. Too bad, because the dealer was falling all over themselves trying to sell me the car by throwing in big discounts and extras.

When I sat in the TL it fit me perfectly. It was love at first sight. I love the 6 speed shifter and clutch, and the engine has plenty of power. I think the interior styling is the best in the $30-50k price range but I like things a bit more toward sporty and a little less toward luxury. I flip-flop on the exterior styling though. I like the exterior but think it will probably look dated in a couple of years. It's not what I would call a classic or timeless design.

I really like the DVD-A and the XM radio and many of the other interior touches that I never thought I would like or would choose to pay for. The only thing I don't like is that the car is FWD, but even that comes with caveats because I believe that FWD is, arguably, safer in rain and snow (though come to think of it, I don't live in a rainy/snowy place). If the car came in RWD or AWD I'd eagerly pay another $10k for the car.

In terms of value I personally think you get a bit more with the TL than the G35, but that's subjective. They are both nice cars with a slightly different emphasis. As far as what you'll pay, I doubt you'll get any discount at all on a new TL and may even have to get on a waiting list to get the one you want. My impression from the Infinity dealership was they had plenty to pick from.

I paid MSRP for my TL but feel I got more for my money than I would have with the heavily discounted G35. Sadly, I pretty much needed to purchase a car when I did so I didn't have the luxury of waiting a few months for the hype to die down or I might have gotten a slightly better deal. I've heard, though, that traditionally Acura dealers don't deal as much as some other brands.

I haven't for one second regretted my decision. The TL is a great car.

Reply to
Bryan Oakley

Infiniti=Nissan Drive a 330i and then make your decision...

John Varela wrote:

Reply to
Dan Krueger
330i is very nice, and it also costs more than I would like to pay. And I now that the base peice is kind of comparable to my other choices, but I am not going for fake leather.

Reply to
Sonoman

Great article in car & driver March issue about the very automobiles you're considering. Guess which was the favorite? G35....

Reply to
ppointer

Yep, I read it. Torque steer anyone?

Reply to
Sonoman

snip

Reply to
Michael Scheer

I think he was referring to the Acura's torque steer.

Reply to
ppointer

When I price out a 330i with the same level of trim as my TL the MSRP is a good $12k higher than my TL. So while it may be a better car, it ought to if it costs 30% more. For me, the argument is moot. It's not any more in my price range than a Ferrari or Porsche, so whether it is better is beside the point.

Now, if you're comparing a stripped down 330i you're in the same ballpark price-wise, though the BMW still costs more and that's without leather, moon roof, premium audio, heated seats, xenons, etc.

If you're strictly looking for the best performance vehicle, get a stripped 330i, certainly. I wanted some of the extras like the moonroof and premium audio which is why I went with the TL. Sure wish I could have gotten it with cloth seats, though.

Reply to
Bryan Oakley

That was a big flaw on the TL. Did you read the article?

Reply to
Sonoman

What makes you say that?

Reply to
Sonoman

Good point. You would have to look at a 325i to get close to the cost of a loaded G35.

Reply to
ppointer

I thought you were attributing torque steer to the G35. Now it sounds like you are talking about the TL.

I drive a 2004 TL 6MT, and like the car very much, but I do th> That was a big flaw on the TL. Did you read the article?

Reply to
Michael Scheer

Because I prefer cloth seats. I think they are warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Plus they grip better. And generally, they are cheaper. It's a win all the way around.

European BMWs can be purchased with cloth seats, and I've heard you can special order them that way in the US if you work hard at it (ie: there's a code for them that's not in the computer but which can be used to get the desired results if you talk to the right person). That may just be a rumor; I don't have direct proof that it is possible.

Reply to
Bryan Oakley

I had a font-wheel-drive 1985 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si, and I could spin the front wheels at will on dry pavement. That wasn't a high powered car compared to what's being built today.

Reply to
John Varela

Reply to
Steven Giuliano

It depends on what features you're really interested in... If you want performance, handling and more driver involvement, go for the Infiniti. If you want comfort and technology and front-wheel drive, definitely go for the TL.

Reply to
FusionGuy

Coming from a young-yet-mature ambitious kid... I have an 02 Accord EX V6 and I've been comparing the following cars..

Caddy CTS G35 Coupe G35 Sedan BMW 330i Volvo S60 T6 Acura TL

All I gotta say is the G35s are nearly identical to my Accord from the inside. The coupe, which possesses more power and potentially better driving action, has NO storage space, and it's a cramped, low 2-door.. yeah been there.

The CTS has awesome luxury features and great computerized stability too, it's a little heavier and less powerful than the rest, and some would even venture to call it ugly.

The BMW is great, but WAY too expensive. You're paying for the name. I'm not that vain.

The Volvo is great, but it's boring from the inside. Talk about uninspired.

Then we come to the Acura. Amazing interior. Understated - sporty YET elegant - exterior. Too many features to remember. I think the only thing people have against it is FWD. This is a car I'd be proud to ride up in and pick up my friends or something. At the same time, I'll knock the socks off of any date.

My TL will be ready for me in 6 weeks.

Reply to
Andrew/Hal