Engine Won't Start

I have a 1991 Acura Legend that periodically fails to start. The seems to have on humid weather days. I thought that maybe there is too much pressure in the fuel system, so I loosen the fuel tank cap and quite a bit
of pressure escape, but the engine still failed to start.
When I allow the car sit until later in the day or into the evening it starts right away.
What's the possible problem?
In article

Does the engine try to start then quit? Do you have spark? Do you have fuel pressure?
--
I. Care
I. Care,

SPINS,or...cranks,but no start/run.

No,that is just usual gas vapor pressure. The fuel injection runs at a much higher pressure than that.(if the fuel pump is getting turned on by the main relay.) If there's no or insufficient fuel pressure at the injector supply rail,the car may start and immediately die,then just crank without starting,until you give up or your battery runs out of juice.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

main relay;it runs the fuel pump,gets cracked solder joints internally,hot temps cause it to not work.It's a common problem across many Honda/Acura products;the same relay is used in all of them,it seems. It's usually located up under the dash on the driver's side footwell.
see www.tegger.com
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

In case you never actually tried looking where Jim said, I'll give you a direct link: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#mainrelay
Pay attention to the red text. Check out the behavior of the car relative to the description in red, then diagnose further.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

(To the OP) One more thing - if you do check for a spark, be sure to read TeGGeR's instructions for that. Leaving the spark no place to go will likely destroy the coil.
But I agree: focus on the main relay at this point until diagnostics lead you away. It's so common it's the first thing we think of for symptoms like yours.
Mike
Thanks, Mike!
Tegger,
Thanks for the troubleshooting info. I'll give it a go and let you know how things turned out.
cea1

if you do take it out,you can take the outer cover off(it snaps off easily) and RESOLDER the PCB joints(if you know how to solder and have the tools),and it will work fine afterwards and not fail for many many years.It's very easy.
Then you don't have to pay $50 or more for a new relay that could(will) develop the same fault.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik