Security Warning Light and The engine won't start

How does security warning light relate to the engine that will not start. The security warning light in 99 Pontiac Grand AM was on when i was driving this morning. I parked the car and restart the engine, this light went away. I can drive the car without a problem. In the evening, the engine won't start any more, the security light was flashing even without the key inserted.

Does any body know when this security light suppose to be on? And how does it relate to the engine that won't start.

Reply to
kevin39

I don't know if this will help but I once read some place that there's some kind of warning or starting safeguard that happens when someone hits your back bumper. I think I might of read it in my car's manual.....good luck

Reply to
rambler60

Document ID# 397871

1999 Pontiac Grand Am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) Description

Important Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed regardless, if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair.

All codes in the theft deterrent module must be cleared for a relearn.

The vehicle theft deterrent system is designed in order to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the fuel injectors unless the lock cylinder is correctly engaged by a mechanical key. The theft deterrent system uses the following 4 components for theft prevention:

The lock cylinder The ignition switch The body control module (BCM) The powertrain control module (PCM) When starting the engine, the PCM searches for a password from the BCM through the Class 2 serial data circuit. If the password is not recognized or not present, the PCM will disable the engine. Two modes of tamper detection are provided:

No password received The engine will start and stall quickly. SECURITY telltale will flash on the instrument panel cluster (IPC) and then stay ON steady. Incorrect or disable password received (More than 3 invalid passwords are received) The engine is disabled for at least 10 minutes and the SECURITY telltale will illuminate solid on the IPC during the 10 minutes. After the vehicle has passed theft detection, the PCM will continue normal operation.

Ignition Switch The mechanical key and lock cylinder is located in the instrument panel assembly. The electrical switching portion of the assembly is separate from the key and lock cylinder. Both of the components are synchronized and work in conjunction through the action of the actuator rod assembly.

PasslockT Lock Cylinder The PasslockT lock cylinder is a locking cylinder that turns a rotating magnet past a stationary hall effect sensor. This action creates the PasslockT cylinder data. The PasslockT cylinder data is sent to the Body Control Module (BCM). The PasslockT lock cylinder is interfaced with the BCM via a 3-wire connection:

Power Ground Data

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is located on the lower left side of the instrument panel.

The PCM communicates with the Body Control Module (BCM) via serial data over the class 2 serial data bus, CKT 1807. When the BCM determines a passed theft condition, the BCM sends a coded password to the PCM. When the PCM receives the correct password, the PCM enables the fuel injection system, allowing the vehicle to operate correctly. The PCM may allow the car to start and quickly stall during a failed theft condition.

The following conditions may cause the PCM to enter a tamper mode:

A bad timing cycle An incorrect password If the BCM does not receive a password within a preset time window, the BCM will enter a short tamper mode. During this mode, the PCM will not allow the car to operate for 4 seconds.

If the password is incorrect, the PCM will enter the long tamper mode. In the long tamper mode, the following actions will occur:

The THEFT SYSTEM indicator will flash. The fuel injectors will be shut off for approximately 10 minutes. Although the vehicle may start, the engine will quickly stall due to a fuel cut-off.

In the event of an open in the serial data communication between the BCM and the PCM, the following actions occur:

The PCM will become fail-enabled if the car has already passed theft for that ignition cycle (i.e. the engine is running). The PCM may set the diagnostic trouble codes (DTC). The THEFT SYSTEM indicator will light continuously. The PCM will become fail-enabled for future ignition cycles. If a failure occurs in serial data before the ignition cycle, while the PCM is not fail-enabled, the PCM will never receive a valid password in order to enable the continued use of the fuel injectors.

Reply to
Silver Surfer