How to turn off A/C when on defog.

Does anyone know how to do this on a 2002 1.7 EL?
I tried the civic method but I couldn't get it to work. What I was doing was hold the A/C button and the air circulation button together start the
car then hold them for 10 seconds then let go. But it doesn't seem to work. Is it different for the EL?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Should be exactly the same as the civic. you must be doing something wrong