How to Turn Off Service Light RAV4?

If it's like the corolla, you turn on the key, set the odometer to the "normal" odometer. Turn off the key. Then press the odometer button in and hold it, and then turn the key on. Keep holding the button in. You will see it start to clear it's numbers, and go to 0000.. Done.. The rav4 is probably the same.. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Here is what I found.

Originally Posted by rav4wak It is a "maintenance required" light and to reset this light after an oil change do this......put key in ignition, /leave in off position,/ press trip odometer reset button and hold while turning key to on position,/ release button,/ a menu of items will show by scanning down,/ go all the way thru menu to mileage,/ this resets your "maintenance required" light and it should stay off for another 5,000 miles. That is where Toyota has it set, because the owner's manual recommends oil and filter changes at 5,000 miles. Good Luck!

Posted by: rav4wak

I have to send you a correction on re-setting the "maintenance required" light. When holding the odometer reset button -- do not release the button after switching the key to the on position. Hold it in until the dashed lines count down back to the showing of the mileage of the vehicle. I'm pretty sure this is more accurate. You know how these things are -- sometimes you have to "trial and error" a few times. My wife has the vehicle at work, so I couldn't run out and try this out for sure. Good Luck!

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Two things come to mind:

1) Take it back to Jiffy Lube and have them fix it.

2) Never, ever go back to Jiffy Lube again, unless you have the runs and they are the only open place with a bathroom. Take it to real mechanics. Taking it to Jiffy lube is like asking for poor quality work.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

LOL....I really don't understand why people don't use the dealer for oil changes. It is priced right and they know what they are doing....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Depends on the dealer. Friend took his car in for the first oil change and they shorted the car one quart of oil.

The local dealer is not too well thought of. Also they are much higher for an oil change. They just charged me $ 30 for an oil and filter change where the local going rate is about $ 20 at other places.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Because they charge $150 labour + parts to change the oil, then they take the car for a "Road test" and thrash the car. And as for knowing what they are doing, I ran into one that insisted that the water pump from a 3S-FE motor that they had in stock wont fit a 3S-GE and they need to order one in and it will take 3 days to get it.

Reply to
Nick Bourne

Maybe they charge _you_ 150/hr for labour.

Maybe they trash _your_ car.

It may well be that even if the FE fits the GE, installation of the former might void a warranty. You can't blame a dealer for that.

Or perhaps the dealer realizes that you are the customer from hell who will diss them and lie about them no matter what they do so they just decided to give you something real to bitch about.

cordially, as always,

rm

Reply to
rm

Re-refined oil is cheaper, that's why. ;)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Hit 5000 miles on my RAV4 and the service light came on to remind me to change oil. Jiffy Lube did the oil change, but they forgot to reset the service light.

Have searched all through the car manual, can't find reference to turning off the service light.

Can anyone tell me the sequence to reset the service light on a 2007 RAV4?

Thanks! Max.

Reply to
Cablespeed

Thanks for the suggestion, MK. I traded in a Corolla for the RAV4, and that was the first thing I tried. Didn't work. Don't know why Toyota doesn't have one, standard method for resetting the light on all their cars.

Thanks aga>> Hit 5000 miles on my RAV4 and the service light came on to remind me to

Reply to
Cablespeed

hammer

Reply to
GO Mavs

You mean that the oil like Quakerstate and Valvoline out of the quart plastic 'cans' is re-refined ?

That is what the local independant shop I go to uses. Becides the dealer should be able to get oil cheeper by buying in large volumes.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It is definitely in the manual - I just did this last week. Look in the instrument and controls section I think. I don't have the manual in front of me, but as I recall, here is the procedure - With the ignition switched to run (but the car doesn't have to be started) make sure the trip odometer is on Trip A. Turn the ignition to "off." Hold the trip odometer reset button and turn the ignition switch to "run" (you don't have to start the car. Five bars should show up on the trip odometer display. They will go out one by one. When the last one goes out, you are done.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I've never had anyone change my oil for me as long as I've been driving.. And no one beats my prices, unless they stole the oil... Yota dealers know what they are doing? Some do I'm sure. The last one I was at was run by a bunch of ignorant morons. I had to do their work for them. No joke.. They couldn't diagnose the problem with the camry I brought in and left for *2 weeks*.. I had to take it back home and do it myself. Which I did. And to crap even more negative, they charged us $433.00 to not tell us what was wrong with the car. That was the only toyota dealer I've ever been to, and I'll do everything I can to avoid any others.. :/ They sell a good car, but many of their techs seem to be ex- taco bell employees.. Like I say, there must be some good ones somewhere, but they don't work at Mike Calvert Toyota in Houston. MK

Reply to
nm5k