how to install front turn signal on Saab 9.3

I have a 1999 Saab 9.3 and the other day, the right hand turn signal mysteriously disappeared, leaving only the power connectors behind. I ordered a replacement from the Internet, and can connect the lights and they function correctly.

My problem is physically placing the turn signal into the frame. There are several clips and a screw that appear to hold the unit in. However, I cannot figure out how to set all the clips correctly. Is there a trick or particular method of sliding the turn signal into the frame to insure the clips mount the signal into place correctly?

Thank you, James

Reply to
James P. Howard, II

Are you sure you've got the right part? I seem to remember it being easy, though the workshop manual has a note saying "Be careful when fitting the light cluster so that the hook in the front edge and the guide in the rear edge are aligned with the headlamp."

There should be a torx screw just behind the headlight to hold it in. Presumably that'll either still be there, holding in a broken bit of the old cluster, or it'll be missing completely.

You could always experiment with the one on the other side.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I am pretty sure it is the right part. It does look like the other side. The screw has been removed temporarily. I can either fit the front end and the back will not work or the other way around.

James

Reply to
James P. Howard, II

I fiddled with one on my 2001 car ages ago whilst I was replacing a headlight glass. It seemed to just slide in and out without any effort. Perhaps I just got lucky. OMG - double entendre overload!

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

There are only two attachment points that matter. On the rear there is a little clip that hooks behind the fender. On the front, the one screw at the top holds it in place.

You just plug in the connectors, slide it back, and put the screw in from the top. The only time I've seen problems fitting one is when the fender is a little bent. You might want to pull the other side out and look at how it hooks in.

It should take less than two minutes to do this. If it takes longer, you're trying too hard. :-)

Reply to
still me