ILX - any comments?

Page 2 of 3
On 8/1/2012 7:18 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

It must give them the kind of satisfaction Harley bike owners get out of that macho exhaust sound. Neither is functional, but gives the owners some kind of reassuring bliss. I'm just saying ...
On 08/02/2012 12:25 AM, cameo wrote:

good analogy!
--
fact check required

You didn't address the fact that the CVT is offered with paddle shifters. If the shift points are invisible, what is a shifter for & why is it offered?
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in message wrote:

wow...after all the time engineers have spent smoothing out the shift points, almost to the point of invisibility.
I'm curious what shift-point-feel does for you, given that you're using an automatic transmission. Why not just get a manual transmission?
On 8/3/2012 11:07 AM, Scott W wrote:

Some better than others, but haven't eliminated hysteresis, unfortunately.

Yup.
On 08/03/2012 08:15 AM, News wrote:

how do you think hysteresis comes into it?

--
fact check required

On 8/3/2012 12:18 PM, jim beam wrote:

Especially at high commanded rates of change, up or down, a dynamic lag in relationship between commanded throttle setting and power output, up and down. Either a control system logic or physical drive system limitation.

On 08/03/2012 09:00 PM, News wrote:

ok, understand. that's very common these days and a deliberate feature programmed into "fly-by-wire" throttles and is there regardless of transmission type. it drives me absolutely nuts. particularly when driving mountain roads.
it's there for two reasons:
1. it helps with fuel economy.
2. the manufacturer can cheap out more on the throttle body quality.
for the latter, if the throttle responded to every minute change in gas pedal, the number of commands the throttle would have to last could go up by as much as an order of magnitude. if you "smooth out" the command flow, the total number of commands drops and you can save maybe $50 on the price of your throttle body with a projected lifetime spec of say 10^5 operations instead of 10^6.

--
fact check required

I dunno about that, a lot of modern electronic controls are more sensitive to time than to operations, MTTF and all. I assumed it was more along #1. But with Honda, I just dunno. My 1999 CL behaved much better after the tranny fluid was changed, for about a week, I had assumed it was programmed in, but apparently not. But my 2010 Accord, I just cannot quite figure what the deal is, but trying to accelerate from freeway cruise to freeway pass (or even change lanes) is very frustrating.
J.

Two years ago I had a new Honda transmission installed in my 02 Odyssey. Along with that came a new control computer.
I noticed right away exactly what you described, which is a behavior that did *not* exist prior to the replacement.
I seem to remember reading that this was Honda's effort to prolong the lifetime of these inherently shitty transmissions.
On 08/04/2012 09:27 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

sure, fewer shifts, thus longer life if you "smooth out" the input. fuck driveability.
--
fact check required

So then, what kind of behavior and driveability will we get with the CVTS?
J.
On 08/04/2012 11:35 AM, JRStern wrote:

stooopid replication of a traditional auto. either because honda usa are spending more money on "focus groups" and "marketing research" than they are on bothering to tell their customers how these transmissions are slightly different and how they're better. or because the oilcos are leaning on them to kill the inherent fuel economy that cvt otherwise affords. they don't make cvt's that behave this way in other markets, so why on earth should the usa market be any different?
--
fact check required

remember when Honda built engines on which the valves needed adjusting every 30K miles, because Honda decided that was the best way to achieve the total package end goal?
They did so without apology. And everything they built worked supremely well for a long, long time.
On 08/05/2012 06:31 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

unfortunately, they're not lasting so long now. since zddp levels in motor oil have been so drastically reduced, the older hondas are feeling it bad. you used to be able to see hondas in junkyards with 300k - 400k on the clock, and cams and cylinder walls almost pristine. now, distressed cams are the norm, and cylinder walls look old mercedes diesels.
zddp reduced to save catalytic converters? that's odd, my oem honda cat lasted 20 years with high zddp just fine. my truck 25 years and one of the best emissions results i've ever seen. but now we have to reduce it? i smell a rort - just like the bogus toyota shakedown, i think this is back door subsidy to the domestic producers - cars that wear out quicker need to be replaced more often and thus boost sales.
--
fact check required

On 8/4/2012 8:54 PM, jim beam wrote:

Are Subaru CVTs made like this, too?

that's why I stay away from automatics. even in traffic backups,I prefer stick shift. there's too much to go wrong with automatics. and they're BORING...
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 8/5/2012 9:01 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

Manuals are great till you hurt one of your feet.
"cameo" wrote

Or just find, at my age, that "enough is enough." ;-) I'm no longer an "enthusiast"; I like my comfort-ride.
On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 17:28:00 -0400, "Howard Lester"

Yah. :)
And with new cars they tend to rate the autos higher on mileage.
Mostly, you just can't get an Accord with a manual, at all on most models, or not with any variety even when they are theoretically offered. I suppose I could try ordering one to spec, I have no idea if Honda even supports that or how long it would take or if I could talk the dealer into a good price on the deal.
Apparently on the ILX when you get the 2.4 engine it *only* comes with a stick.
But geez, the reviews I'm seeing on the ILX are all pretty blah, or worse.
J.

Just like when you get a Civic Si it comes *only* with a stick.
Because they're the same car.