mystery brake lights-1991 integra RS

strange day... returned to parking lot to find my brake lights on, but no one in the car. never had this problem before. eventually pulled out all the fuses, one by one, so as not to wear
battery out overnight. oddly, the brake lights stayed on through all fuse pulls. had to disconnect the battery for overnight... is this problem due to a short?
any thoughts, k
On 3/29/05 11:41 AM, in article 1_513899 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com, "k-maui"

Probably due to failure of the switch that activates them when you push the brake pedal. You should have found the fuse though. Did you check all the fuse boxes, or just the one under the dash?
"user1386" wrote: > On 3/29/05 11:41 AM, in article > 1_513899 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com, > "k-maui"
> > > strange day... > > returned to parking lot to find my brake lights on, but no > one in the > > car. > > never had this problem before. > > eventually pulled out all the fuses, one by one, so as not > to wear > > battery out overnight. > > oddly, the brake lights stayed on through all fuse pulls. > > had to disconnect the battery for overnight... > > is this problem due to a short? > > > > any thoughts, > > k > > Probably due to failure of the switch that activates them when > you push the > brake pedal. You should have found the fuse though. Did you > check all the > fuse boxes, or just the one under the dash?
thanks for the reply....and pardon my ignorance....but, where would there be another fuse center/box? am much better with guitars than cars...
is the switch you mentioned, the one that is connected to the brakes, easily accessible?
mahalo/thanks k
On 3/29/05 6:38 PM, in article 1_514430 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com, "k-maui"

There are usually one or more under the hood. Look around the top edged of the fenders and in the back of the engine compartment.

Follow up the shaft up from the brake pedal pad. You should find a switch with a button that contacts the shaft and releases when the pedal is pressed. It might have become dislodged or failed, or the spring that pops the pedal back up when you release it might have stretched out so that the pedal doesn't fully return (the brake lights come on when the button is released and go off when it is pressed by the pedal returning).

YOUR FLUID IS LOW!
Check the master cylinder under the hood.
Also check the brake pads. They're surely worn thin.
--
TeGGeR?

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Eh, sorry. Misread: BRAKE LIGHTS on, not dashboard light.
Brake light switch at pedal is stuck. Unplug to confirm.
Fuses that control this are #30 and #37 under hood on right shock tower. (Pull 37 first).
--

"tegger5" wrote:
> [...]
this is a great place thanks for the knowledgeable responses you guys were right...the switch had dislodged fixed seemingly easily.
you know..i had no idea there was a fuse box under the hood..this also led me to the fuse concerning the passive restraints (the driver side conked out a while ago..i kind of gave up on it, and got used to doing it manaually.
thanks much for the help and advice mahalo k

Hey, any time.
I was in Hawaii with Mom and sister in 1985. Drove a moped around Oahu twice. Also took a guided tour of the Big Island.
There was a guy in the west end of Honolulu renting a Ferrari 308 for $200 per day. I wanted to rent it but my sister refused to go halfers, so it never happened. We rented a Jeep instead. Too bad.
Mom and sis went back again in 1987. Rented a Volkswagen Cabrio. Went to Maui.