S2000 a $34K car ????

Page 1 of 2
I'm wondering:
what makes the S2000 a $34K car ???? It's a 4-banger with only 237 HP and for that price you don't even get Navigation. What gives ?

Review S2000 sales figures. Notice that very few disagree with you. Although the S2000 is a lot more fun to drive than 237HP seems to indicate, Honda hasn't done much with the car since it's introduction and sales are in the dumpster.

There are people who actually enjoy the thrill of driving. I think the modern word for them is "motorcyclist". It's obvious low inertia (weight) cars can be accelerated and turned faster. So small is good for performance. Public streets aren't race tracks anyway. You can only use so much horsepower. Try to keep a Z06 Corvette at redline in the twisties and you'll probably wreck in less than a mile. A Honda Civic is quite doable however. An S2000 has close to double the horsepower of the Civic.
Breaking marker, hit the brakes, double clutch downshift, Corner entry, get mostly off the brakes and trail brake up to the apex, get back slightly on the throttle out to corner exit, straighten the wheel and accelerate hard from the corner exit to the next braking marker upshifting as necessary. Next turn has a slight crest of hill, reduce the corner entry speed, move the corner entry a bit earlier, you want the car turned more than normal at the peak of the hill as you'll have less traction than normal, back on the throttle to corner exit and accelerate down the straight,
No brain power left over to think about nagging wives or obnoxious bosses. Nirvana!
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote in wrote:

snip for brevity..
my local auto ads usually have several used S2000s for sale,but no last model Preludes.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It is a purpose-built sports car. It was never intended to sell in the volumes of a Civic or Accord and therefore the development costs are amortized over a much smaller number of vehicles.

OR,it's priced similar to the Porsche Boxster.(but not equivalent)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The Boxter's base price is $45,600. The S2000 is $34,300. Bit of a difference...

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,

well,of course,you would pay more for the PORSCHE name and quality.... [sarcasm]
plus the Boxster engine has more HP,doesn't it? (and it's a flat-6 cyl. gotta pay more for a 6 cyl.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I have wondered that about the Pontiac Soltices a local dealer advertises at a bargain 31k. If you want cheap fun the Civic Si coupe or sedan gives a lot of bang for the buck.

But not a drop-top.
how long will a Solstice hold up compared to the Honda? Hondas/Acuras have excellent reliability,and IMO,the domestic brands do not have such a good rep.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Actually, the Soltices I see just sit at the local GM dealer. As an old roadster type -- 1960 era -- Sunbeam Tiger, 64 XKE, MBG, TR4 -- and even a couple of early C3 Vettes, the S2000 fits the bill better for the money. I became a Honda fan in the 60s with a CL77 305 and later CB750 when they came out.
"tww1491"

wow hahaha ! I didn't even know the's Honda in the US in the 60s

I think he's referring to motorcycles. AFAIK,the first Honda motorCAR in the US was the Honda 600. IIRC,followed by the Civic CVCC?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Interestingly,Honda's motorcycle production moved to the US(Ohio),and that led to US production of Honda automobiles;non-union,and keeping high quality. The first Japanese cars built in America(including engines!).
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

My Honda AN-600...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larrythefrog/477777904 /

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,

My AN-600 was two cylinders, 598cc, to be exact. IIRC, it was essentially a motorcycle engine. In Japan, the car was chain drive, but that wasn't approved for export to the US, and the car had to wait for a real transmission.
It probably still stands as one of the highest mileage cars ever seen here. It routinely got 50-55 mpg. On a bad day it got 45 mpg.
It would easily do 80 mph on a straight road - 90 or better, downhill with a good tail wind. ;-)

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,

Most people hadn't heard of Honda cars in those days...

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:53:20 GMT, Larry in AZ

They had certainly heard of Honda motorcycles. I know my '74 Civic surprised a lot of people driving the modestly powered cars of the day. In a drag race it could easily smoke those MG roadsters and most anything that passed as an economy car.
said:

I also had a 74 Civic, right after the 71 AN-600. By then, Hondas were everywhere.
In the summer of 72, I towed the 600 across the US from LA to Cape Cod. We spent a lot of time explaining to the locals everywhere along the trip what it was.

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,

When I returned from Japan in 1969, I sold my 305 and bought the new 350 (325cc) scambler which I shipped to the US. Recollect the redline was around 9k or so. Rode with a bunch of big bike drivers (Nortons, Hogs and and so forth) in San Antonio, who were constantly surprised by this screaming "tiddler" that could keep up with them and even do around 100 mph. They could understand how it stayed together. The CB 750 (later owned) was amazing for the time. A mc mag tested one when they came out by riding it coast to coast -- without any breakdowns and just a couple of chain adjustments -- an amazing feat for the time for a bike. As I said, Honda made its rep on motorcycles which laid the way for their cars. I also had a Triumph Bonneville for about a year before it was stolen (circa 1970) -- two hours of maintenance for every hour on the road and remember to tape spare cables to your handlebars because you'll need em.