S2000 a $34K car ????

They had certainly heard of Honda motorcycles. I know my '74 Civic surprised a lot of people driving the modestly powered cars of the day. In a drag race it could easily smoke those MG roadsters and most anything that passed as an economy car.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

So... how much did you pay?

I would love to buy one of them.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I also had a 74 Civic, right after the 71 AN-600. By then, Hondas were everywhere.

In the summer of 72, I towed the 600 across the US from LA to Cape Cod. We spent a lot of time explaining to the locals everywhere along the trip what it was.

Reply to
Larry in AZ

When I returned from Japan in 1969, I sold my 305 and bought the new 350 (325cc) scambler which I shipped to the US. Recollect the redline was around

9k or so. Rode with a bunch of big bike drivers (Nortons, Hogs and and so forth) in San Antonio, who were constantly surprised by this screaming "tiddler" that could keep up with them and even do around 100 mph. They could understand how it stayed together. The CB 750 (later owned) was amazing for the time. A mc mag tested one when they came out by riding it coast to coast -- without any breakdowns and just a couple of chain adjustments -- an amazing feat for the time for a bike. As I said, Honda made its rep on motorcycles which laid the way for their cars. I also had a Triumph Bonneville for about a year before it was stolen (circa 1970) -- two hours of maintenance for every hour on the road and remember to tape spare cables to your handlebars because you'll need em. >
Reply to
tww1491

First, my previous comment of getting one for under $30k new may be BS. Apperently someone on another web site claimed he could but was never able to back it up with any documentation. How much did I pay? Oh well, I paid the dealer $1,000 less than he wanted, and yet still paid $1,000 more than I wanted (paid $26,995). There were two other people wanting to look at the car. It had no dings or dents......and looked as if it had never been driven....and that was before it was detailed. In 05, the total factory warranty was 3 years, 36k. Buying it from a dealer gave me peace of mind with Honda's Certified 7 year (5 years left) 100,000 mile power train warranty and 2 years or 40,000 miles left on everything else. The car was manufactured in Japan in June 05 and sold in Aug of 05. It was less than 2 years old and it was the last year with the real throttle cable. Some of the 06's are having hesitation problems with their DBW. For some very interesting and detailed comments on the S2000, go to

cheers.

-- Message posted using

information at

duckbill

Thanks for the info. I think 2005 was the last year for the 9000rpm 2 liter engine which is a plus in my mind as well. Enjoy your S2000.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Actually, the '05 had the 2.2 liter engine. Red line was either 8000 or

8500. I had one, but don't recall the red line.

Tom S. Houston, TX

Reply to
Tom Simchak

Starting in 04, Honda incresed the diplacement about 10 percent which helped improve low end torque and power which I like. Redline is now 8K, (versus 9K with the older models). It has an 8.2K cut out. Peak horsepower remained the same overall. I'm told people used to pay way over list for the S when it first came out, no more of course. It has gotten me off my motorcycle....with the top down I get the same enjoyment, but know I'm a lot safer. Side impact without airbags is 5 star. Honda did it right...lots of the S crowd want more Horsepower, etc. Me. I'm very satisfied as is.

-- Message posted using

information at

duckbill