Wheels and Tires

Greetings! I have a 2007 Acura TL Type S and want to replace those stock wheels with something a little nicer. Perhaps in chrome. So far, it has been hell trying to find out if any wheels fit other than Ron Johns. My question is that if I do find a nice wheel, will going to a

19" tire & wheel combo take away gas mileage? What about speed performance like 0-60 or 1/4 mile? Will I need to have my Speedometer recalibrated? I have 235-45-17 and would like to upgrade to a 235-35-19.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
NJ Vike

Changing tire sizes should not have any effect on gas mileage.

Two other things...which you may already have thought of/checked out...be sure that the new tires and wheels will fit into the wheel well and that they won't scrape either on the top or the sides (when turning). Also, yes, you will have have to have the speedo and odometer recalibrated, as the circumference of the new tires and wheels will be greater than the old ones.

Tom S. Houst> Greetings! I have a 2007 Acura TL Type S and want to replace those

Reply to
Tom Simchak

NJ Vike wrote in news:1177609795.767133.221290 @s33g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

The nominal difference in rolling radius between 235/35-19 and 235/45-17 is less than one percent.

Your ride height would drop about 1/16".

You don't need to recalibrate anything.

Since rolling radius is unaffected, gas mileage won't change.

Your ride will be harder and handling may not be what you expect, since the suspension is calibrated for a taller sidewall.

Also, watch the offset in any aftermarket wheel. If it's different from stock, this can lessen the life-expectancy of your wheel bearings.

Reply to
Tegger

Many thanks for the reply. I think I will purchase the same size wheel and check on the offset.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Will do and thanks for the reply

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Tom Simchak wrote in news:ka6Yh.6080$2v1.482 @newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

How do you figure that? Did you even do the arithmetic?

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns991FB8F71EDCEtegger@207.14.116.130:

Last time I was on the Tire Rack site,they had a feature that gave you the circumference and percent difference in speedo reading for each particular tire.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns991FBF050E8E6jyanikkuanet@64.209.0.86:

Which you can do yourself with your dollar-store pocket calculator.

Reply to
Tegger

You will spend a bunch of money to get a car with a worse ride, high susceptibility to rim damage and short tire life. Other than that, great plan!

It is rare indeed to see a car with bling wheels that really look better or work better than the TL-S factory wheels.

Reply to
John Horner

I was just looking for something with a shine to the wheels. I realize that it's a personal preference but I can't imagine why Acura would equip such a nice looking car with wheels that look like they're completely covered with brake dust is beyond me.

I did take everyone's opinion into consideration and decided to go with an aftermarket chrome rim in the same size. I will equip these rims with either the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 or the Continental ContiSportContact 2. I have nothing to complain about with the existing Michelin tires that came with the car. I just don't want to continue to have them mounted and dismount twice a year. We get snow around here so I plan to take the wheels off when winter arrives.

Thanks everyone for their opinion and I look forward to discussing Acura issues again.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

"NJ Vike" wrote in news:ezJYh.9373$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

so when they DO get covered with brake dust,nobody notices.... ;-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Only if I let it go that far. I had a 2003 Expedition that got plenty of brake dust just after 25 miles. It seems that all Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators got some new type of brake pad. It was awful. I complained to Ford and they replaced all four at no charge.

I don't see that amount of dust appearing so I should be fine.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike