A4 - 97 - 1.8, engine start up problem

Intermittently when i start up my car, i turn over the engine, the engine starts and after a second or so it cuts out. This usually happens several
times and then starts no problem! HOWEVER the ignition lights stay on (suggesting not a battery problem, or alternator issue?) DOES anyone have any ideas of what the cause might be?

Same response as I posted in the thread 'A4 dash light' on Monday: Fit a new ignition switch, with new immobiliser sensor coil.